Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
richmce

mop fly bodies

was in our local home depot . walked past a display of new floor mops .  the mop knubs were almost 2 inches long   so i had to buy one for 11.99. im sure the mop refills will be cheaper.  nice gray color made for larger mop flies or even a wacky mop fly . mop head is about 2ft by 10 inches , a long time supply.  only time i seen long mops bodies was from a truck dept that had 2inch bodies on a mitt used for washing big truck wheels and it was orange   they work well tied on a 1/32  jighead with a # 4or 6 hook

I've been lucky over the years with finding large mop material.  I have several pieces of mop material where the mop piece is close to two inches long.  The best find was a white one.  Pieces from a wet mop can't be dyed, but you can use a permanent marker  to color small batches.  Now I have patches of them in white, chartreuse, yellow, orange, gray and olive.  I use either size 6 or 4 hooks when I tie with them. Haven't tied them on 1/32 oz jigs yet.  I also tie them with foam dumbbell heads for top water bass.

P2160131.thumb.JPG.895ec9a465bbc0ab99a15018e3618def.JPG

P2160129.thumb.JPG.94447941e1b9eb31b9df01e182331af0.JPG

These pictures were taken in 2018.  I didn't have an orange mop back then, so that one was colored with a permanent marker.

On 8/3/2023 at 11:24 PM, richmce said:

was in our local home depot . walked past a display of new floor mops .  

Yeah, I gave in to those at HD recently as well because they were a beautiful yellow.  No matter where you're at or what you're doing, you're always a flytyer.

Have also tested the newer RIT Synthetic dyes on mop and craft fur and the color does take well to those materials.  WIth mops, base color does affect the hue of whatever dye is used, but it usually turns out to be a nicely muted natural color in the end.  The brightest greens which are popular mop colors can be made a murky olive fairly easily which has some utility for me.  Bight green ain't bad either for murky waters.

5 hours ago, knotjoe said:

Have also tested the newer RIT Synthetic dyes on mop and craft fur and the color does take well to those materials.  WIth mops, base color does affect the hue of whatever dye is used, but it usually turns out to be a nicely muted natural color in the end.

I didn't have much luck dyeing pieces from a wet mop.  I initially used some RIT dyes. This was almost five years ago.  They looked good initially, but after they dried they held the color until they got wet and the color washed out.   I went out and brought a tye-dye kit which had a great selection of colors.  I also found a white dry/dust mop.  The pieces weren't that long but they were good for panfish flies.  When I dyed these they held the color but came out "muted"/pastel shades.  The white, chartreuse and yellow are "natural colors .  The others are dyed 

P4140195a.thumb.JPG.7d41a21cfbff0d66c28d1969a721d594.JPG