Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chasing_Tails

Bend, Oregon area in the evenings mid-August?

I'm heading out to Bend for a business trip next week, 08/14-08/18. My work will finish up at about 3:30pm each day. Would it be worthwhile to head out in the evenings?

I was out in the area in early March last year and had a great day on the water during a day off fishing the Fall River. I do have a full day off on Friday that I plan on getting on the water as well, but I figured if I could squeeze in a few evening trips, especially if there is some dry fly action, that would be great. The Fall River is about 40 minutes and Mecca Flats is about an hour from where I am staying in Bend so I could theoretically be on the water by 5pm and fish until about 8pm.

Any good evening hatches to expect?

Thanks all for any information.

PMD, Caddis and Midges will be the dominant hatches. Potential for PED, Ants and Beetles, maybe a Yellow Sally. The Metolius and Crooked Rivers are also about an hour away. The Metolius is challenging with diverse hatches. You could see Golden Stones there, even in August.

Here's what I got from Chat GPT, fwiw...

Deschutes River Evening Fishing

Default (GPT-3.5)
User
What is the best fly fishing near Bend Oregon in mid August after 3:30pm each day, and why
ChatGPT

In mid-August after 3:30pm near Bend, Oregon, the Deschutes River is a popular fly fishing spot. The river's cooler temperatures during the evening provide a better fishing experience, and you're likely to find trout and steelhead. Its diverse insect hatches make it a productive location. Additionally, the scenic beauty of the area adds to the overall experience.

User
What flies are regularly hatching on the Deschutes river after 3:30pm in mid-August, and for each both describe the insect's hatching behavior in general and specific to the hours after 3:30pm, and also explain in detail how local experts say is best to fly fish each hatch after 3:30 on that river in mid-August
2 / 2
ChatGPT

In mid-August on the Deschutes River after 3:30pm, two common insect hatches are the Pale Evening Dun (Ephemerella inermis) and the Caddisflies.

1. Pale Evening Dun (Ephemerella inermis):

• Hatching Behavior: These mayflies hatch in the late afternoon to early evening. They emerge by floating on the water's surface, shedding their nymphal shucks, and then flying away to lay eggs. The hatching process can create a substantial rise of fish activity.
    • After 3:30pm Behavior: The hatch becomes more pronounced as the evening approaches. Trout become more active, focusing on the surface to feed on these insects.
    • Fly Fishing Approach: Experts suggest using imitations like Comparadun or Sparkle Dun patterns. Present the fly with a drag-free drift to mimic the natural insect's behavior. Target the slower water near riffles and pockets, as well as areas with submerged rocks.
  2. Caddisflies:

• Hatching Behavior: Caddisflies hatch in the afternoon and evening, typically starting around late afternoon. They emerge from their pupal cases underwater, reaching the surface and taking off in flight.
    • After 3:30pm Behavior: The caddis hatch intensifies, and trout actively feed on both the emergent pupae and the adult insects on the surface.
    • Fly Fishing Approach: For emergent pupae, swing soft hackle or wet fly patterns near the surface. For adults, Elk Hair Caddis or X-Caddis imitations work well. Cast near the bank, submerged vegetation, or riffles where caddisflies congregate before taking flight.

Overall, fishing during these hatches after 3:30pm requires precise presentation, as trout become more selective. Pay attention to the rise forms of the trout to determine their feeding behavior. Using a delicate approach and presenting the flies naturally will increase your chances of success. It's always advisable to consult local guides or fishing experts for the most up-to-date advice tailored to the current conditions on the Deschutes River.

User
What size and coloration for the transitioning pmd and for the emerging Caddis pupae, specific to fly fishing the Deschutes in mid-Aust after 330 pm each day. Be as specific and detailed as possible
2 / 2
ChatGPT

Certainly, here are some specific recommendations for fly size and coloration for the transitioning Pale Morning Dun (PMD) and emerging Caddis pupae when fly fishing the Deschutes River in mid-August after 3:30pm:

1. Transitioning Pale Morning Dun (PMD):

• Size: PMDs in mid-August are often around size 14-16, depending on the specific hatch. It's a good idea to have both sizes in your fly box.
  • Coloration: Look for PMD imitations in shades of pale yellow, light tan, and creamy colors. The natural color of the PMD can vary, so having a range of shades is beneficial.

2. Emerging Caddis Pupae:

• Size: Caddis pupae in mid-August are usually around size 14-18, depending on the species. Similar to PMDs, having a variety of sizes is recommended.
  • Coloration: Caddis pupae can have different color variations based on the species. For the Deschutes River, consider using olive, tan, or light brown imitations. These colors tend to match the local caddis pupae well.

When fishing these hatches after 3:30pm:

For PMDs:

• Use a dead-drift presentation to imitate the transitioning nymphs ascending towards the surface.
  • Focus on slow-moving water, pools, and slower riffles where PMDs gather.
  • Cast upstream and let the fly drift naturally downstream, mimicking the nymph's movement.

For Emerging Caddis Pupae:

• Choose a pupal pattern like a Soft Hackle Caddis or a Pupa Emerger.
  • Present the fly with a slightly twitching or skating action, imitating the pupae's efforts to break free from the water's surface.
  • Target riffles, seams, and pocket water, as these are common places where caddis pupae emerge and trout feed actively.

Remember that fish behavior can vary, so adapt your approach based on what you observe on the water. Additionally, local fly shops and guides can provide the most current information on hatch conditions and effective patterns for the specific time you'll be fishing.

User
What about the Metolius
ChatGPT

Certainly, the Metolius River in Oregon is another fantastic fly fishing destination. Here are some tips for fly fishing the Metolius River in mid-August after 3:30pm:

1. Hatches: The Metolius River is known for its diverse insect hatches. In mid-August, you can expect to encounter hatches of Blue-Winged Olives (BWOs), Caddisflies, and potentially some Pale Morning Duns (PMDs).

• Blue-Winged Olives (BWOs):

• Size: BWOs are usually around size 16-20.
    • Coloration: Imitations in shades of olive, gray, and brown work well.
    • Presentation: Present your fly delicately on the water's surface. Fish tend to become selective during BWO hatches, so precise imitation is crucial.
  • Caddisflies:

• Size: Similar to the Deschutes, caddis pupae imitations in sizes 14-18 are suitable.
    • Coloration: Olive, tan, and light brown patterns are effective.
    • Presentation: Use a slightly twitching or skating action to mimic emerging pupae. Focus on riffles and pocket water.

2. Approach:

• The Metolius River is known for its clear, cold water. Trout can be skittish, so a stealthy approach is important.
  • Keep your casts accurate and avoid disturbing the water unnecessarily.
  • Focus on pockets of calm water behind boulders, deep pools, and the seams between fast and slow currents.

3. Techniques:

• For dry fly fishing during hatches, use a gentle presentation to avoid spooking fish.
  • For nymphing, use small beadhead nymphs that imitate the aquatic insects present. Use a tight line technique to detect subtle strikes.

4. Local Expert Advice: Local fly shops and guides near the Metolius River are valuable sources of information. They can provide up-to-date information on current hatches, effective fly patterns, and specific techniques that are successful on the river during mid-August.

Remember that conditions can vary, and observing fish behavior and local advice will enhance your success. Enjoy your fly fishing experience on the beautiful Metolius River!

ChatGPT hallucinates, so yes it's not to be trusted, I just find it interesting. I did not mean to say or imply anything depreciating of your earlier post, and I'm sorry if it came across that way.

And not to imply it's a better resource than hatch charts and guide reports. It doesn't compare.  Those you and flytire added seem of particularly top notch quality as well.

Overall Chat GPT's advice isn't bad.  I just always prefer a real human, boots on the ground report. 

Thank you all for the info. After a horrendous travel experience I just got in today, a day late. I did have enough time to patronize the local fly shops and get some intel. I’m probably going to try Wednesday evening on the Fall, see how that goes, then decide on where to go Thursday evening if I get the chance. Friday is the wild card as I have the full day off. I might wander off to the Deschutes or maybe the Crooked. 

I’ll let you all know how it goes. 

Well it was a productive trip.

On Thursday evening we finished up work early enough that I could get a few hours on the water before dark. It was still on the later side and I was planning on being up early the next morning so I decided to go to the Fall River at the hatchery area as I was familiar with it from my trip back in March of 2022.

I got to the river at 5:30 pm and there were a few people on the water right by the hatchery. I had one goal on this trip, catch a trout on a dry fly. All of my other trips ended up nymphing, and I had yet to have a trout rise and take a dry fly. I went upstream to a spot that I did very well on my last trip and found one angler working upstream from the spot far enough that I could slip in. Being the Fall River, you could clearly see the fish hanging on the downed structure on the far bank. I tied on a #16 foam-bodied caddis and on the second cast I watched a trout come up from the bottom and sip it off the surface. It may have been a stocked fish, but I accomplished my goal. I fished until 7 when they closed the hatchery area and decided it was time for dinner and to plan Friday as I had the entire day off to explore.

1404002924_FallRiverspot1.jpg.2157279c88f2864595f5f80f632abe2e.jpg

1586397372_FallRiverRainbowTrout1081723.JPEG.13278cc01446e1fd87d5a2c5a60d6dad.JPEG

Along with the advice from this thread, and after hitting the local fly shops for some intel, I decided I was going to try the Crooked River the next morning, and that would give me the chance to go to the lower Deschutes as well if I wanted to try it as well. It was a bit smokey from the fires out west so I wasn't sure how the conditions were going to be.

I got on the Crooked River at 7:00 am the next day and was the first angler at the campground. I walked the trail downstream and found a stretch at the tail of a riffle to start and work downstream. I saw a few trout come up so I knew they were in the area. I tried a few drifts with a dry/dropper, but nothing came up on the dry or took the nymph. I knew the fish were there, so I switched over to an indicator nymph rig throwing a heavy bead #14 BH Pheasant Tail as a point fly, and a small #20 BH emerger I tied a while ago. A few drifts later, the indicator went down. A beautiful rainbow came to the net. I repeated this a few times and even hooked into a fish that quickly went downstream and took me into the backing. The wading conditions were a bit difficult to move quickly with the slick rocks, so I was not able to follow it, and the hook pulled, but it did give me my "the one that got away" story for the day.

599343139_CrookedRiver081823spot1.jpg.e6fecad73d66f22afea7d7262fb54a47.jpg

1915912995_CrookedRiverRainbowTrout1081823.JPEG.83f961da40d479c77426ce51723becf5.JPEG

As I worked downstream and the sun came up higher I came to an area of flat water that had several fish consistently rising to feed off the surface. It was a mix of bugs, but there were quite a few caddis so I went with a #16 Hi-Float caddis I designed in tan. It didn't take long to get the first fish to come up and take the fly off the surface. I spent the next 30 minutes picking off rising fish. My only regret was that I kept throwing my 5wt. and waited too long to break out the 3wt. to try some dry fly fishing with before the fish went down for the morning.

546379582_CrookedRiver081823Cleared.JPEG.747d9a3de9c01a00cc981f8d57e0d531.JPEG

1954904019_CrookedRiverRainbowTrout3.jpg.9bb6813637ace1c082a25188fd1480f0.jpg

I continued to work downstream until just after noon when I decided to head back to the campground. While eating some lunch, another angler came in and asked if I was comin' or goin'. I told him goin', and he asked if I was the silver car that was there early. He was surprised someone was on the water before he got there. He was even more surprised that a salty Florida boy was able to figure out how to catch trout. We got to talking, and he mentioned a spot slightly downstream that he had just left and was doing very well euro nymphing, and he left them biting if I wanted to try it before I headed back to the hotel to pack for my early flight the next day.

I found the pull-off he mentioned, and the river was easily accessible, so I figured I'd give it a try. It didn't take long for the indicator to drop and another rainbow came to the net. A few casts later, and I hooked into another nice fish, but this one felt different. As I netted it, I quickly noticed it was not a trout but my first mountain whitefish. I was happy to add another species to my list. I worked that spot for the next hour and a half, consistently catching both trout and whitefish. One trout was a stout 15" fish, but of course, in the attempt to get a photo, the small size 20 fly pulled out.

1147596025_CrookedRiver081823spot3.jpg.dc7047e59852f25249b3adde4ecca3ad.jpg

413045550_CrookedRiverRainbowTrout2081823.JPEG.32a2879c87a6e71d9626951d9c264ab7.JPEG

692421144_CrookedRiverWhitefish1081823.JPEG.e56a2d8a2af1017cd180848fbe4f7889.JPEG

Thank you all for the information, it turned into a great trip mixing business and pleasure. It surely is some beautiful country out that way. My client mentioned that they are planning on another training round in early November, so I may be back sooner than later. Maybe it will be a good shot to try some steelhead....

Glad you got into some fish, despite the heat and smoke. Those Crooked River rocks are SLICK!