Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WWKimba

SPECIAL OPPORTUNITY AVAILABLE!

There is a special reserved opening available in the "You Give Me the Woollies" fly swap.  We are looking for some new faces and here is a great opportunity for anyone looking to try out a fly swap.  This swap is one where tyers will exchange woolly bugger/woolly worm type fly patterns - a GREAT pattern for newer tyers to cut their teeth on!  First person who meets the requirements - someone newer to fly tying and/or new to fly swaps - gets that opening!

Support that I am happy to provide any newer tyers is 1) provide you with some suggested patterns for this swap, 2) give some tying tips in tying your chosen pattern, and 3) provide you with educational feedback on your flies that includes where you are doing well and where you could improve with specific steps to take to make that improvement.  Any or all of these support steps are available to you, if you wish.

Also, with my swaps, I give out a fly tying gift or 2 to all members of the swap.  Registration for this swap will be open for another month and the flies will be due in to me (the host) by Wednesday, January 10th.  You will need tie a total of 12 flies for this swap.

Love to see you in the swap!

Kim

Myth (Excuse!) #1 - I don't/can't tie swap quality flies yet.

ANY FLY IS A SWAP QUALITY FLY!  I have had more than one person join one of my swaps WITHIN TWO WEEKS after getting their first fly tying kit!  And swaps are great for developing 2 skills that you need to be a good fly tyer - your small muscle memory and your tying eye!  How does a swap do this and why are these skills important, and just what are these skills???  Well, I'll tell you.  

Small Muscle Memory - Small muscles are mainly the muscles in your fingers and hand but can also be the ones in your feet, jaw and tongue.  These are needed for playing an instrument, crafts, painting and fly tying.  Ever see someone tying on a video or playing an instrument and make it look so easy - the thread wraps just right or their fingers hitting the keys each time, well that is muscle memory.  Just like the old joke about Carnegie Hall this memory is developed through repetition (otherwise known as practice!).  As a new tyer watch how the thread heads on your first ties look compared to the thread heads on your 100th, 1,000th flies and you'll see what I mean - your finger muscles KNOW where to go without much thought from you.  In a fly swap you will HAVE to tie the same pattern multiple times and that practice will be what develops your small muscle memory doing the exact same thing over and over.  (And yes, there is such a thing as large muscle memory - those are learned YOUNG - for example when you first learn to turn over, creep, crawl, and walk.  You are using the muscles in your legs, butt, abdomen and arms - the larger muscle groups.)

The Tyer's Eye - Most of us tied our first fly from a picture/directions in a video or book (or maybe a demo).  We had the picture right in front of us and then tied our fly.  One question, did they look exactly the same?  Ever see a painting, pick up a brush and paint the exact same picture?  Why not!  The item was right there in front of you!!!  Well that's why we need to develop a tyer's eye (or an artist's eye for the painting, but I'm a lousy painter so let's focus on fly tying!).  Your fly's body was probably thicker, the wing/tail longer or shorter,...  Yet again, look at same person tying in that video seems to make picking out just the right amount of dubbing, just the right amount of material for the tail, just the right amount of material for the wing, tying the abdomen just right and then the thorax just right,... well this is what the tying eye is for.  You will begin to see just how long and full the body parts are to be to tie a good fly and you will gain a feel when the amounts/ratios are wrong - that's a tying eye. One big and common problem a newer tyer has is crowding the eye of the hook - that is not having any room to finish tying off your fly so you cover the hook eye with thread wraps!  As you develop your tying eye this issue will happen less and less. Also your body ratio will be better, wings/tails will be the right length and will be more sparse and proper.

See what a swap will do to improve your skills!  And just think, you STILL get back 12 different flies to help build your personal pattern database, get 12 flies to test drive on your home waters (and any good fisher knows that it's ultimately the FISHES vote that counts!), and some free fly tying material to add to your ever growing stock of materials!

Have I talked one of you into trying a swap yet?  Feel free to contact me.

Kim

I agree.  Swaps helped me become an intermediate tyer.  Trying to get a dozen flies to be consistent makes you work on those things Kim stated,

Myth (Excuse) #2 - I don't know what to tie/can't find a pattern!

All you need is a fly that fits the theme - in this case a Woolly Bugger/Woolly Worm pattern or one of their cousins!   Back in the early 70's (when I learned to tie!) this was THE first pattern most people were taught to tie with!  I know that there are probably TOO MANY patterns to choose from!  Here's where a your friendly neighborhood swap host can help.  Just ask and I can suggest some patterns that fit the bill and will match your tying skills.  In fact I know of one pattern that only uses 2 materials (and I can even give you one of them!) and is easy to tie and effective on the water - how could you miss!  Also, ANY pattern that you choose, from my help or one you find, I can give you tying hints and tricks in tying that pattern so you look like a pro.

I warn you all, I can be LONG WINDED!  So one of you better take me up on this offer and join in this swap.  Did I mention that swaps are FUN!  I hope that I talk one of you into joining the swap!🙂

Kim

Myth #3 - I don't really know what a swap entails/How much time? money involved??

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I can only understand simple things!  So by that definition swaps are easy as pie.

First, any swap has a host that sets the swap theme, registration details, and when the flies are due in.  This host then divides the flies up so everyone gets one from every other tyer and mails this new set of flies back to you, the swapper.  For this swap I am the host and the theme is Woolly Bugger-style fly patterns.

You, as the swap member will tie 12 flies (in this case) of the same pattern and send them to the swap host.  There are 5 BASIC things that you will send to the host - your flies, each with a toe tag, all in a swap box.  The last two things are your SASE (self-addressed, stamped envelope - so you get your set of flies back) all placed in your sending envelope.  The only cost will be the cost of materials for your flies (which balances out when you get your new set back) and the postage times 2 (the SASE and sending envelope).  I have a Fly Swaps 101 piece that I can send to any interested party that further defines the 5 BASIC terms if you'd like.

Anyone interested yet?!  I can play Myth Busters all day!  Just sign-up and find out what fun these swaps are!

Kim

BTW, the time involved is up to you and the pattern you choose to tie BUT it will be less and less as your skills develop - so sign up for more than one swap!

This limited time offer will expire on Monday, December 4th!  There is STILL one opening left for you to improve your skills and enjoy the fly swap experience.  Plus, you will get 12 fly patterns to try out on your home waters AND get a fly tying gift or two for participating - SIGN-UP NOW!!!

Kim

This offer is closed out on Monday, Dec. 4th -  ACT NOW TO TAKE ADVANTAGE!!