Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
livetaytay

What are your year end plans?

11 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Christmas eve I will spend with Mom watching Christmas movies. Then Christmas day will be with Mom, BIL & Nephew having dinner and opening gifts. Then Dec 26th its back to work on rods again. Got a little break from now till 26th so that is nice to have a bit of free time right now.

I love watching Christmas movies, what are your all time holiday favorite movies to watch? That would be a good way spening of christmas sounds more relaxing.  

2 hours ago, livetaytay said:

I love watching Christmas movies, what are your all time holiday favorite movies to watch? That would be a good way spening of christmas sounds more relaxing.  

Lot of good ones I enjoy. An American Christmas Carol (one with Henry Winkler) is one of my favorites. Also the one with George C Scott, as well as the version with Patrick Stewart. A Christmas Story, The Grinch, Christmas with the Kranks, Home Alone, The Man Who Invented Christmas. Those are all ones I enjoy watching every year.

Parents once told me, If you can't say something nice, don't say anything.

So, I'll just say I watched Christmas movies when I was younger.  I seem to remember I might have enjoyed some of them.

Since I'm not religious, and I don't have kids to do the Santa thing with or for, Christmas (capitalized for those who feel the religious fervor) is just another vacation from work.  I don't watch any of the movies for this time of year.

Mike if it was never a tradition for you when you were younger to watch them with family, then I get why they might not appeal to you now. Christmas movies for me bring back memories I guess more than anything. Growing up my family always had traditions and great times at Christmas watching movies and enjoying family time. Certain movies we watched every single year as a family. Now that I don't have much family left and have lost many close family members that I used to spend such time with at Christmas, I enjoy watching movies because it brings back memories and feelings I use to have years ago. Some Christmas movies are somewhat corny and a bit goofy, but it's the memories and feelings of the past which I find enjoyment in.

Now, lets open the big can of worms...Die Hard...Christmas movie or no? 😄

On 12/21/2023 at 11:30 AM, Steeldrifter said:

Lot of good ones I enjoy. An American Christmas Carol (one with Henry Winkler) is one of my favorites. Also the one with George C Scott, as well as the version with Patrick Stewart. A Christmas Story, The Grinch, Christmas with the Kranks, Home Alone, The Man Who Invented Christmas. Those are all ones I enjoy watching every year.

Yes, These movies were my all time favorite. Bring so much memories and christmas feels! 

Before the year end I plan on visiting in Singapore and still making my itinerary any destination that I could add?

7 minutes ago, Rizzz said:

Before the year end I plan on visiting in Singapore and still making my itinerary any destination that I could add?

That's a good year end plan... I've been there only for business travel and haven't really stroll around the city but I was planning to go back there with my family.. you could also check this article I found online https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in-singapore-statistics-2023-the-ultimate-guide-5549 Hope this might help you with your itinerary. 

13 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Die Hard...Christmas movie or no?

Its part of the Christmas tradition:

IMG-4290-jpeg-b680075247a54e2f89262b3adf

On 12/20/2023 at 8:41 PM, livetaytay said:

Those are such thoughtful ways to handle the holidays - limiting spending to what's needed and donating extra funds to good causes. Especially meaningful this time of year. I'm sure your friend and his wife really appreciate you taking the time to visit as well. Alzheimer's is so difficult to witness in a loved one. cherishing the present moments together is truly the best gift. Wishing you all peace and joy through the celebrations, and hoping for the best for your friend's health in the new year.

While I'm not the most religious person on the planet...I do embrace the spirit of the season...and thank you for your thoughts.

18 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Mike if it was never a tradition for you when you were younger to watch them with family, then I get why they might not appeal to you now.

I suppose that's one of the issues being me.  I know we had some traditions.  Watching those movies was likely one of them.  However, my memory of my early life is mostly non-existent.   Dad used to record celebrations on film, so I know they happened.

I know we had birthday parties for all 6 kids every year ... but I don't remember the actual events of ANY of them.  I know we had big Christmas morning gift openings with the whole family, but again, I don't actually remember any of them.  So, movies etc. can't bring back memories that I don't have.

21 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Dad used to record celebrations on film, so I know they happened.

Wait....they had video back in the late 1800's when you were a kid? 🙈😆