Fly Tying

On 1/15/2024 at 8:18 AM, DFoster said:

I've been to Florida many times, for me tropical climes are a nice place to visit but I could never live there.   

I’m sitting at home in front of my propane fireplace,  looking out my window at a 3” to 5” snowfall, thinking how great life is right now. Just enough to make it pretty outside, not enough to harm anybody or thing, and it will be gone in a week or less. It has the added benefit of a slow recharge to our creeks and rivers priming them for awesome spring fishing.  

I couldn’t agree more with you, almost. I’m not a fan of deep cold winter but I’ll take it without question over the dog days of our summers. Florida spring, summer, fall, and half of winter, forget it, no way, give me freezing my ass off over tarpon and sharks.  In fact I just got back from a three day trip to Florida and it wasn’t bad. I had a nice swordfish dish but it was cold and I had to wear long sleeves and a light jacket, kind of like here in PA. Unfortunately I have to go back in March when it will be blistering hot. Perhaps I’ll tie a fly or two today before I shovel the driveway later this evening or I’ll just continue looking at the snow through my window. What a great day!

14 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

I couldn’t agree more with you, almost. I’m not a fan of deep cold winter but I’ll take it without question over the dog days of our summers

👍 I need the change of seasons, the possibility of ice fishing, sitting in front of the wood stove with the wind and snow blowing. My wanderlust in the hot humid summers always drives me to head north 🐟

4 hours ago, cphubert said:

👍 I need the change of seasons, the possibility of ice fishing, sitting in front of the wood stove with the wind and snow blowing. My wanderlust in the hot humid summers always drives me to head north 🐟

4 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I’m sitting at home in front of my propane fireplace,  looking out my window at a 3” to 5” snowfall, thinking how great life is right now. Just enough to make it pretty outside, not enough to harm anybody or thing, and it will be gone in a week or less. It has the added benefit of a slow recharge to our creeks and rivers priming them for awesome spring fishing.  

I couldn’t agree more with you, almost. I’m not a fan of deep cold winter but I’ll take it without question over the dog days of our summers. Florida spring, summer, fall, and half of winter, forget it, no way, give me freezing my ass off over tarpon and sharks.  In fact I just got back from a three day trip to Florida and it wasn’t bad. I had a nice swordfish dish but it was cold and I had to wear long sleeves and a light jacket, kind of like here in PA. Unfortunately I have to go back in March when it will be blistering hot. Perhaps I’ll tie a fly or two today before I shovel the driveway later this evening or I’ll just continue looking at the snow through my window. What a great day!

The stream that runs behind our home.  I learned to how to fly fish right at this spot so it holds many memories for me.  I still fish it often.  No fishing today though,  just brought our pups down for one of their runs.  Temps are in the 20's which is not too bad for January.  It's dead quite, most of the birds have gone south.  The cold air clears your lungs and makes you feel alive. It sure is pretty when it's like this.

IMG_0607.thumb.JPG.fc200aea18cecded427fe71779a8a291.JPG

IMG_0609.thumb.JPG.a376b1bf258eda2a126e328cd9c21ad7.JPG

IMG_0606b.thumb.JPG.1c9c67223afc644316f7790d8a31a9ec.JPG