Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
niveker

CFFA Fly Fishing Expo And Banquet

For those of you in the region, anybody going?

I'm batting about 0 over the last several years for fly fishing shows, but I'll try to make this one. 

CFFA Fly Fishing Expo And Banquet

February 3, 2024

New Location

Nomads Entertainment, 100 Bidwell Rd. South Windsor, CT

Featured Speaker - Captain Ray Stachelek 

Expo: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Banquet: 6:00 p.m.

Multiple Vendors, Fly Tyers Row! Fishing Seminars

New- Casting Demos

Kids Fly Tying

Local fishing Clubs and Organizations

Admission-  $5.00, Children 16 and under enter Free

Free Parking 

BANQUET TICKETS NEED TO PURCHASED BY JANUARY 27, 2024-MAIL-IN FORMS CAN BE FOUND HERE TO DOWNLOAD (INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED ON FORM) OR PURCHASE ONLINE HERE. *TICKETS ARE NOT REFUNDABLE.

Programs ;    

9:30 - Spey Casting Northeast - Introduction to Spey Casting

10:30 -  Captain Ray Stachelek - Making sense of Colors, Images & Motion

11:30 - Fly Fishers International - Ray Ramos with FFI will offer basic casting  for the beginner and a quick casting tune up for those more advanced. 

12:45 - Paul Dinice - Fly Fishing for Smallmouth Bass with a focus on the Housatonic River

i missed marlboro and new jersey shows

this one is a little closer and i think ill try this one out

maybe see some forum folks there

norm

Always enjoyed this show, this year has the largest vendor signup CFFA's had in a while. I usually see old friends and find some good materials & things that I needed like another hole in my head, but still my favorite small show and a good club to support.

I`m shooting to be there a little before noon, maybe I'll run into you if your still there. 

ill be wearing a green hoodie and a whiting farms hat

i dont know how long i'll stay

i went and came back home

walked around the place and stopped to watch a tyer tying carrie stevens style feather wing flies. he was sloooooow

watched another tyer tying spey style flies. he was even slooooooower

walke back to the carrie stevens tyer and he was still searching or sorting through his materials to finish the throat area of the fly

stopped at a fly shop selling materials and everything smelled like grandma's attic with moth balls

lots of booths selling used stuff

i circled the place about 4 times and that was enough

Got there later than I expected.  My son #2 son was up for week-end drill with the reserves, he went to sign in but he wasn't on the roster, so I waited for him to get back.  Got there a little after 12, you must of already gone.

Pretty much what I expected, maybe a little smaller.  Picked up a few things, some peccary, stick on eyes, blah, blah.  That one big table with lots of used stuff did smell of mothballs, just like my tying room.  Guy at the table said is was various estate stuff they were selling to benefit TU.  If my sons hadn't have come with I probably would have searched those bins more thoroughly but I promised not spend more than an hour.  Some interesting stuff - Australian possum, white bear hair (I guess he was afraid of calling it polar bear - he called it great northern white  bear - LoL - we got a good chuckle from that), black bear, peccary, yak, artic fox tails, skunk tails, etc.  Older stuff but really low prices.

Dan Trella was there selling his 'Wicked Pissah', size 30.  Couple of other tyers, but not doing much tying.  

I'll go again next year. I like those little shows as opposed to the way over-commercialized ones.  

i thought about asking to tie at next year's show but the distance to haul tying stuff in from the parking lot is a little bit too much for my back to handle

i did see the bags of white hair but didnt ask what they were. 

too many guys standing in front of tables just bull shitting and not letting people get closer

12 minutes ago, flytire said:

too many guys standing in front of tables just bull shitting and not letting people get closer

LoL. 

Yeah it was a good hike from the parking area. When we left the arcade was full of filthy little kids we had to dodge to get to the exit. 

i left before the rug rats came in 👍

that was a dark walk to the event room

3 hours ago, flytire said:

i thought about asking to tie at next year's show

I was there at 0630 to help set up and help vendors/ tiers carry things to assigned tables, if I am still here next year and you want help setting up and or carrying things in, I would be happy to do it. I hung around and left around noon or so I picked up a few vintage items and found an unmarked Edwin Haenelt multiplier reel on a Pflueger frame in VG condition at a bargain price.

Did this replace the Danbury Arts of the Anglers show, or is this a completely different one from the get go?

Regards,

Mark

Not a replacement I have not seen the Danbury show talked about in a few years. I remember it was sponsored by the Catskill Fly Fishing Museum around the October time frame? This is CFFA's annual show and banquet, their only annual fundraiser.