Fly Tying

I love to hear stories of hunting for and finding old fly fishing/tying stuff that is no longer being manufactured.  Here's one-   

A short while ago I commented on this post  https://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?/topic/111828-vest-satchel-or-what/ about how much I liked my old '90s Orvis Super-L-Pac vest.  Over the years I've tried enough options to realize I'm a vest guy. Vest work for me.  That said I've always wanted the "vintage" Orivs Battenkill Pro Guide vest from the early 2000's. and not just any Orivs Battenkill Pro Guide vest but specifically the version with the lower front zippered pockets.   Some versions, maybe even most of them had 6 elastic lower front pockets.   At the time they were available new on the shelf, I was still spending my fishing budget on rods, reels, lines, waders, boots and all the other stuff that goes with getting into the sport.  At that the time I couldn't justify spending the dough on a premium vest when I had a cheap one the worked ok.  That vest when out of production and past me by, or so I thought.  This weekend something made me think to google that vest.  I did and there it was for sale on Craig's list, not hundreds of miles away either but in the next town over!  Not only was it the exact version I wanted and in my size but it was brand new with the Orvis tags still on it.  I immediately drove the 15 minutes to the guys house to make sure it fit and bought it on the spot.  He buys and sells used fishing tackle and got it from an estate sale.  I've fished it twice so far and couldn't be happier!

IMG_0840.thumb.JPG.964e88e2ae3f9cf1a0a34992d30eda22.JPG

My hallmark of a  good vest, not necessarily an expensive vest, was always highlighted by a soft wide collar since that’s the part that always dug in. That vest has a great looking collar. I just might have to go back to a vest as well. Nice find. 

13 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

My hallmark of a  good vest, not necessarily an expensive vest, was always highlighted by a soft wide collar since that’s the part that always dug in. That vest has a great looking collar. I just might have to go back to a vest as well. Nice find. 

Thanks sir- the collar is very soft.  The material is identical in feel to the Simms G3 Guide vest that are available everywhere.  The main selling point for me regarding a vest is that I prefer to have each item that I carry in it's own pocket.  Having everything thrown into one or two large pockets as in a pack means having to search for them.  When I used a chest pack I reminded myself of my wife as she constantly struggles to find things in her purse.  As a 58 year old I like the weight distribution of a vest.   And as a fly fishing traditionalist, well what else are you going to wear?  I'm not saying a vest is the best option for everyone but it works for me.

Serendipity and luck sometimes win over strategic thinking - good find! 

I concur that (for me at least), the good ol' fishing vest is the best organizer on the water, and I too like lots of pockets.  

Regards,

5 hours ago, flyflinger said:

Serendipity and luck sometimes win over strategic thinking - good find! 

I concur that (for me at least), the good ol' fishing vest is the best organizer on the water, and I too like lots of pockets.  

Regards,

Wise words- thanks!

Great score!  I’m 66 years old and have been fly fishing for a lot of those years and I still can’t make up my mind which means of carrying stuff Iike. Maybe when I grow up I’ll figure it out.😉