Fly Tying
john1962

Yvon's soft hackle pheasent tail

Thank you poopdeck, my proportions are a little off I agree. Next one I will do as you suggested. Soon I believe I will ty a fly to do yvon's PT justice.

It's a work in progress 

IMG-20240310-WA0006.jpg

12 hours ago, planettrout said:

I have been fishing the Eastern Sierra since 1952 and fly fishing the same since 1974. I tie almost all of my own fly patterns and have been since 1974. There are two partridge skins that I use:

The above skin is from Nature's Spirit and has feathers that are predominately brown-ish..

This skin is from Wapsi and the feathers are predominantly grey...Wapsi also offers full skins in Olive and Brown if you can find one...

This site (flyfishingthesierra.com) is where you got the info on Yvon's pattern:

https://flyfishingthesierra.com/ptpart.htm

These are some soft hackles I have tied with the hackle feathers for Wapsi:

Frankly, in my experience I don't think the Trout I have encountered in the Eastern Sierra have a preference...

PT/TB

I will checkout there websites, you have tied some really nice flys. The eastern sierras on as some of the better trout fishing in the US.

I'm looking forward it.

One way of using oversized soft hackle feathers is to use a dubbing loop method to form the collar.  Here is another method I had not seen before that looks much easier:  

Tim Flagler is my go to for learning techniques for tying. His instructions are clear and easy to follow. Set up Tightlines Productions in You Tube to get some nice videos. Mcfly on this site also easy to follow patterns. Use you tube as a good resource. Keep it up. It gets easier. Challenge yourself every day on your fly tying journey.

On 3/12/2024 at 5:21 AM, KnottaFly said:

Tim Flagler is my go to for learning techniques for tying. His instructions are clear and easy to follow. Set up Tightlines Productions in You Tube to get some nice videos. Mcfly on this site also easy to follow patterns. Use you tube as a good resource. Keep it up. It gets easier. Challenge yourself every day on your fly tying journey.

Thank you for you tips and encouragement.

Tightlines