Fly Tying
john1962

Yvon's soft hackle pheasent tail

I interested in tying both the dry fly and bedhead size14.

My question is the pattern calls for grey partridge hackle.

I find only natural, brown, black and yellow.

Would natural be considered a good choice.

Tightline

I get that, my problem is the pattern calls for gray hackle.

Google hungarian partridge hackle only the colors brown, natural,black,and olive are listed.

I guess gry and natural the same thing, I am new to fly tying.

Tightlines

hungarian partridge would be the gray partridge hackle identified in the above recipes

and is what is used in yvons youtube video

The gray partridge hackle is at the neck, the brown is over the back. If you get a natural partridge pelt, you get a mix, some have better gray, some better browns, some a good mix. Best to buy in person at a trusty vendor or at least on phone from someone you trust. Here's one on eBay looks good for lots of gray

Screenshot_20240308-150536.thumb.png.ec1393ca6e6fe473e8ebbcf652fc306a.png

Here's one from the same seller better for browns maybe, hard to tell from the pic. Mixed bag

Screenshot_20240308-150618.thumb.png.e65bca87eca7ee76acbd9067ba27eaa1.png

Best to buy in person.

I wouldn't buy either one of those, just showing you for the pics

If you want a sample of each (nat gray, nat brown), pm me your address and I'll mail you a few feathers of each to see what you're aiming for.

Thank you, now it's clear. I'm on my way to the eastern sierras Tuesday, I'm going to either stop at a fly shop here in tuscon Monday or a fly shop on 395 end of next week. 

I won't get any mail delivery till I reach Coleville California walker river is calling.

Tightlines

3 hours ago, john1962 said:

I interested in tying both the dry fly and bedhead size14.

My question is the pattern calls for grey partridge hackle.

I find only natural, brown, black and yellow.

Would natural be considered a good choice.

Tightline

Don’t for a second think you’re tied to any material for tying particular patterns, unless your into historical perspectives. Frankly, how somebody else tied a fly is next to meaningless when fishing a fly to a fish. One of the best parts of tying flies is tying them your way. It don’t really matter much if your using a partridge feather, a chicken feather or whatever. Everybody who ties a fly will tell you the way they tie a fly is the only way that catches fish. Feel free to substitute as needed. 

5 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Everybody who ties a fly will tell you the way they tie a fly is the only way that catches fish. Feel free to substitute as needed. 

Well when I say it.... hahaha

I just want to spend the time and try to tie the right way. Bad habits come easy and are hard to shake. That's a proven pattern for that area, and I plan to fish what works.

Never been to the eastern sierras.

Tightlines

13 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Don’t for a second think you’re tied to any material for tying particular patterns, unless your into historical perspectives. Frankly, how somebody else tied a fly is next to meaningless when fishing a fly to a fish. One of the best parts of tying flies is tying them your way. It don’t really matter much if your using a partridge feather, a chicken feather or whatever. Everybody who ties a fly will tell you the way they tie a fly is the only way that catches fish. Feel free to substitute as needed. 

Bingo sir- I’ve caught a hell of a lot of trout on flies with substituted materials. As Norm’s signature used to say “the trout care less than we do“.  Or is I like to say- if you can’t find hair from the chin of a juvenile male Sasquatch, Deer will do. Substituting materials is what fly tying fishing flies is all about.

Well I've fly fished for years but only now started tying my own. I will have a couple made to show off, as a new tyer here soon.

I thank you and everyone else for your guidance and support.

Tightlines

16 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Here's one from the same seller

That guy lists some beautiful skins.  Though I have not bought one of his partridge skins, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of his without having it in hand, they look a lot better than most of the branded ones I've seen in store. 

BTW, I agree 100% with the substitution philosophy expressed above, but there is something special about a well marked partridge hackle

Good to know. Can't see much on my phone, between the tears in my retina and the cracks on my screen...