Fly Tying
bugger addict

How small can I tie a t-bead bugger?

I’m a bugger addict and I have good success tying them with a tungsten bead. Now I want to go small as possible. What’s your advice on smallest size possible, using a tungsten bead? Hook size (manufacturer), and smallest bead available (source)?

🤔

You can get tungsten beads down to 1/16" (1.6mm) from several manufacturers like Wapsi, Firehole, MFC, Fulling Mills, Hareline, and Spirit River.  Depending on the size/style of hook you use, you may need a slotted bead to navigate the bend of the hook.  I have tied size 20 flies on a 1/16' bead, which I think is pushing obscuring the hook gape and interfering with hook sets - and those used a "scud hook", rather than the straight shank like you would use on a bugger.  I guess I've never tied a bugger or leech pattern smaller than about a size 14 and I don't recall the bead size . . . but have fun!         

Regards,

Thanks for the input, flyflinger.  I'm thinking I can alleviate the hookset  problem by being very, very scanty on the material that I put into the body.  Maybe not even using chenille.  Black thread on an appropriate colored  hen hackle?  Or is there a hook brand that has a noticeably wider gap between shank and point?  If so, can you point me toward the manufacturer?

B'Addict

Help me understand how small you want to go?  If it's size 16-18, here is an example, 3X long with a 2X gape:  https://www.avidmax.com/firehole-sticks-fly-tying-hooks-839/ 

There are so many hook manufacturers these days, you can exhaust yourself searching;  Ahrex, Firehole Sticks, Fulling Mills, Umpqua, Tiemco, Daiichi, . . .   

Here's a bead chart, one of many out there: 

image.png.5895298d6b0437e518c89b0fcd529203.png

Regards,

If what you're looking to do is tie the smallest bugger possible, why not skip the bead and use tungsten thread instead.  Or is the beadhead part and parcel of your quest?

Tungsten thread? I didn’t know that existed.  First I’ve heard of it. No, the bead head is for the sinking. If there’s another way to do it…. I’ll google it. Thanks. 

I've tied a couple size 20 buggers.  They were tied on size 20, I think, 3xl or 4xl.  It's been a while since I tied them.  I used the smallest bead I had.  I had to use dry fly hackle for them.  I'll see if I can take a picture of them and post it.  Surprisingly, I caught a few trout on them.

Have you tried tying with micro chenille. Works great for smaller buggers. I tied some up on  #18 jig hooks that work fine. May be a different avenue for you.

dont try the tungsten thread. its very stiff wire, not thread

its like wrapping a guitar string around the hook shank

stick with tunsten beads