Fly Tying
john1962

First chenobly ant

#8 streamer hook

Tan,black and orange 2mm foam

140 danier black thread

Round white rubber legs (accidently cut short when trimming foam)

What do you think?

Tightlines

20240328_153208.jpg

I tie a lot of foam flies.  I have a couple of CA's in my warm water box.  A good job.  Not much to critique.  One, usually the "tail" is pointing up.  It looks like your thread is fraying.  Any idea why?  Sometimes, but it would only be for the rear wrap, the thread hits the hook point and frays.  Tie the legs in last.  That way if you want to trim the foam body, the legs won't get in the way.

Thank you, it's work in progress.

I broke the thread tightening the foam, and had to start over. Its not hard to do.i believe I forgot to lift the rear foam and place a few wraps. Thanks for pointing that out. Oh and thoughs legs do get in the way. But good idea. 

FYI, I have noticed that round rubber legs do not last more than a season in Colorado.  I don’t know if other areas of the country experience the same thing.  My solution has been to go to silicone or span-flex/lifeflex legs.  

2 minutes ago, Fruitrollup said:

FYI, I have noticed that round rubber legs do not last more than a season in Colorado.  I don’t know if other areas of the country experience the same thing.  My solution has been to go to silicone or span-flex/lifeflex legs.  

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely look into that.

14 hours ago, john1962 said:
14 hours ago, Fruitrollup said:

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely look into that.

Just a follow-up on what Fruitrollup said.  I use the silicone legs for my foam flies.  The silicone legs, what they call "sili legs" in fly fishing catalogs and stores, are silicone skirt layers.  What they use for spinner baits and swim jigs.  If planning to use a lot of them, they're cheaper than the packs of "sili legs" with a better selection of colors.  You should be able to find them in most tackle stores, Bass Pro/Cabela's, Wal-Mart or online.  Or if you have any spinner baits or swim jigs lying around that you don't plan to use anymore you can cannibalize them. 

3 hours ago, Philly said:

Just a follow-up on what Fruitrollup said.  I use the silicone legs for my foam flies.  The silicone legs, what they call "sili legs" in fly fishing catalogs and stores, are silicone skirt layers.  What they use for spinner baits and swim jigs.  If planning to use a lot of them, they're cheaper than the packs of "sili legs" with a better selection of colors.  You should be able to find them in most tackle stores, Bass Pro/Cabela's, Wal-Mart or online.  Or if you have any spinner baits or swim jigs lying around that you don't plan to use anymore you can cannibalize them. 

Thanks for the tip, I have round rubber legs that came with the kit I bought, I have others ordered, just the question is when do I get my order? Being that I'm cheaper then niveker. 🤣