john1962

1st attempt at a rusty parachute

#16 dry fly hook

Black 140 danier thread

Rust brown super fine dubbing

8 fibers brown neck hackle

white akron yard

brown saddle hackle

the parachute is the more difficult part, wont win any prizes but it should fish very well.

What do you think?

Tightlines

20240329_112317.jpg

🤣😅 ya right NO. But thanks, I don't have much hair left, but if I did I would of pulled them out. That parachute was tuff. Multiple times trying to wrap the yard with the hackle.

Looking good! Your post is a little tall as are your hackle wraps. Was the segment right behind the post intentionally put there is that where you tied off the hackle?  140 is on the thick side of thread for a size 16 but I get you don’t have a lot of material yet. Don’t worry as that problem seems to take care of itself in a short amount of time. Great effort on your part. Keep it up!

22 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

Looking good! Your post is a little tall as are your hackle wraps. Was the segment right behind the post intentionally put there is that where you tied off the hackle?  140 is on the thick side of thread for a size 16 but I get you don’t have a lot of material yet. Don’t worry as that problem seems to take care of itself in a short amount of time. Great effort on your part. Keep it up!

22 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

Thank you, that post was alot of trouble for me, it can only get better, yes that's where I tied off the hackle, bringing the thread back to the eye without being noticed was a chor.

I tied 2, the other one had a shorter post but this one looks a little better. Work in progress.

The kit I bought from a well known company was a disappointment, missing chenille, wrong size hooks for flys demonstrated and broken flat and dried out elk patch. I'm traveling so I thought I make due, its all good. 

Tightlines

1 hour ago, SilverCreek said:

Deleted

Why?

You can say what you want, it's all good.

Tightlines

OK, I have reposted what I was going to suggest. 

Note the narrow "waist" in your fly at the arrow.

20240329_112317.thumb.jpg.39fa0bf59e74d379c5c71e7ecd3ab53c.jpg.af0acff8bf1e2a73fe7df71bb518d201.jpg

To prevent that "narrow waist," after tieing in the tail of the fly; bring the thread to the area of the post position and tie in the post first on the hook. 

Then tie the hackle in and wind it up the post. Make sure the concave side of the hackle is facing the post so that when you wind the hackle down the post later, the convex side of the hacke will face up. This will make the hackle tips face up away from the water and the the fly to lie deeper in the film. A parachute fly is NOT an imitation of the subimago stage of a mayfly. It actually a late stage emerger imitation!

With the post and hackle tied in, it will out of the way and you can then dub the body in a continuous smooth contour around the bottom of the post all the way to the hook eye. 

When dubbing from the post to the hook eye dub sparsely so then you can dub sparsely BACK to the bottom of the post. Now you will have a seamlessly dubbed body from the tail of the fly. Then do the following:

Directions for whip finishing on the post.

Finish the dubbing so the thread is hanging off the back side of the hook just BEHIND of the post. Then take the thread, and instead of taking it around the hook again, bring it around the post so it is hanging ahead of and on your side (front) of the hook.

Now wind the hackle down the post clockwise as seen from the top of the post. When it gets down to the bottom, take the thread around the hackle and post in a clockwise fashion and whip finish on the post.

Here’s a video on whip finishing the hackle on the post

8 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

OK, I have reposted what I was going to suggest. 

Note the narrow "waist" in your fly at the arrow.

20240329_112317.thumb.jpg.39fa0bf59e74d379c5c71e7ecd3ab53c.jpg.af0acff8bf1e2a73fe7df71bb518d201.jpg

To prevent that "narrow waist," after tieing in the tail of the fly; bring the thread to the area of the post position and tie in the post first on the hook. 

Then tie the hackle in and wind it up the post. Make sure the concave side of the hackle is facing the post so that when you wind the hackle down the post later, the convex side of the hacke will face up. This will make the hackle tips face up away from the water and the the fly to lie deeper in the film. A parachute fly is NOT an imitation of the subimago stage of a mayfly. It actually a late stage emerger imitation!

With the post and hackle tied in, it will out of the way and you can then dub the body in a continuous smooth contour around the bottom of the post all the way to the hook eye. 

When dubbing from the post to the hook eye dub sparsely so then you can dub sparsely BACK to the bottom of the post. Now you will have a seamlessly dubbed body from the tail of the fly. Then do the following:

Directions for whip finishing on the post.

Finish the dubbing so the thread is hanging off the back side of the hook just BEHIND of the post. Then take the thread, and instead of taking it around the hook again, bring it around the post so it is hanging ahead of and on your side (front) of the hook.

Now wind the hackle down the post clockwise as seen from the top of the post. When it gets down to the bottom, take the thread around the hackle and post in a clockwise fashion and whip finish on the post.

Here’s a video on whip finishing the hackle on the post

Thank you, everything went well until I started and finished that post, got a little overwhelmed. I seen videos on it before I started. Didn't work out like I wanted. As far as the dubbing for some reason I always seen the use more then needed even though I try not to use so much. That don't make any sense.

Practice makes perfect.

Tightlines

3 minutes ago, john1962 said:

Thank you, everything went well until I started and finished that post, got a little overwhelmed. I seen videos on it before I started. Didn't work out like I wanted. As far as the dubbing for some reason I always seen the use more then needed even though I try not to use so much. That don't make any sense.

Practice makes perfect.

Tightlines

I will give it another try soon.

Stay tuned. 😎

8 hours ago, john1962 said:

Somewhere along the way I learned that when you pull out the dubbing tuft that you’re going to apply to the thread it should float and waft down like a feather if tossed into the air. If you toss it up and it drops straight down it’s too much dubbing. Try it, you will see how light and wispy it needs to be to float and waft back and forth.