Fly Tying

Does anyone know the recipe for a pattern called the Moisie Munro?

used on the moisie river?

hairwing? full dressed?

there is one called "munro killer"

Munro%2BKiller%2B1080.JPG

Thanks Norm. I've seen that one and several other videos during my search each showing that pattern, but unfortunately that's not it. A friend who contacted me about the pattern assured me the Munroe Killer is not the pattern he is supposed to being tying for a client.

I know the feeling Squatch 🤪

I went through my selection of salmon fishing and fly tying books and found the solution. The pattern in question is simply a modified version of the Munroe Killer. There are additional colors in the wing and the tail...that's it.

big secret?

so post up the fly and recipe

or which book?

my turn to ask for help 

HzL (7).gif

I'm also curious as the Moisie River has now been added to the bucket list 

I'll combine the two...the pictures will tell the story. Sorry about the flash on the one shot.

The source of photos and recipes is - Flies for Atlantic Salmon by Dick Stewart & Farrow Allen

Moisie1.thumb.JPG.ff08269402f53588eceb4b7d926e6e61.JPGMoisie3.thumb.JPG.db0d9a2e238b1e996695ea056d46dad6.JPG

There was a gent on SpeyPages who found the info below: 

I just dipped into the 1989 “Spawner” magazine, published annually by SPAWN (Salmon Preservation Association for the Waters of Newfoundland) in Corner Brook, Newfoundland from 1979 until 3 or 4 years ago. The 1989 edition contains an article written by Mitch Campbell, famous Moisie guide and photographer who spent his entire adult life on the Moisie. The article includes dressings for thee favourite Moisie flies, one of which is the Monroe (sic) Killer. This differs from the classic Scottish pattern in two ways; it has a tail of bright orange hackle fibres (the original has no tail) and the throat is plain black hackle vs. the orange followed by blue (or dyed blue Guinea Hen) in the original. The development of the original Munro Killer can be found here: 
The Origin of the Munro Killer Salmon Fly - Fish & Fly

Here are a couple of photos of the article by Mitch 

image.thumb.jpeg.89c18a570ab8bc3e536a2082571fdf0b.jpeg

so low and behold its not a secret pattern, just a munroe/munro killer like i originally posted

obviously there are different recipes

Oh so true regarding the different recipes. In the world of Atlantic salmon flies this happens frequently from the heyday of the Victorian era classics to the everyday hairwings that are what is the usual fare everywhere on salmon rivers in this day and age.