Fly Tying

Hi Leif

You wrote: "this octopus i have done is not the same material at al that you have in yours,if it was i hade write it and get your cred for the octopus.....this one is not glas blowing technique and no epoxy at al in my octopus.....

im sorry if you feel that the octopus is your own pattern....."

Just a question: how did you know that I used glas blowing technique and epoxy for tying such fly? Just for precision, I gave this information height month ago on my site, in Italian and French journals...without reading them how could you know that?

Your octopus is well tied, no question about that but some doubt on your inspiration source.

Despite that, I prefer to stop the story here and I wish you success and fun in fly tying. I hope that one of these days we will meet. I always try to see what is the best in each of us. No doubt you are a very good tyer. Have a nice day.

Cheers.

Fario

Hi fario....

it was a friend of mine that told me about your epoxy technique.....and i can tell you that my octopus is not done that way at al.....if it was i should look like this :sick: ......my is much more simple.........

I will end this now also i have done one octopus and i will proberly never do one again....

i will keep tying my own pattern....The Alien

I love your work also fario,you are a true artist!!!!no question about it...

Leif

post-2969-1129187906_thumb.jpg

Guilty as charged. I was the one that told Leif about your technique. It resulted from the earlier conversation Graham mentioned we had on this forum where a link was posted leading to your site. It is a simple matter to translate the content to English. I had mentioned the technique to Leif not as a method to do his Octopus but just as a unique technique. I was actually thinking Adult Stones at the time. I can assure you Leif's Octopus is NOT done using this method. He came up with an easier method using completely different materials. I think everyone on this board would certainly support me in the statement that Leif is NOT one to wait and imitate someone's techniques. And if anything people copy his.

While I am in total agreement with you when it comes to shared techniques, I must say for me ... Bud said it all. We are all imitating the Master in our own way.

Leif...Your ALIEN fly is fantastic :thumbsup: Are you a fan of the movies? The first movie is by far the best, I've enjoyed all of them...SullyTM

Hi fario,

I hope you check in here often, and even post some pictures of your unique flies; just looking at them brings me great pleasure. At least we have an avenue to communicate and share and even voice concerns which will get response. Personally I tread carefully ever since the FTF was threatened with a law suit for a step by step I posted many months ago. I’ve been running my business for 20 years and have never been threatened with a law suit, but my first posting of a realistic fly, my new hobby, was threatened. But I live in California, a state known for its litigious nature, and the famous tier also lives here. All I can do is try my best to never copy realistic flies and take credit for things done by others in the past. Kinda sucks having this weight around the neck with ones hobby, but my desire to tye is strong.

Graham

Good Day,

My two cents... Sorry can't help it. I love to tie. I love to teach. I am the Secretary on the board of our only local fly fishing and flytying club. I like to teach the traditional and the new. I like to share what "discoveries" I have made. Afterall, this is the very core of our hobby. This is how the information has been passed on and down for generations. Certainly there are patterns which we all know were originated by so and so but there are nearly as many to whom we don't know to give credit to. The guy in his basement or tying room fooling around at the vice coming up with his great new invention for his stream or body of water. The very essence of our hobby and of boards such as this is just that, to share, inspire and educate each other. As is part of human nature, we may forget to specificly acknowledge that we are emmulating a technique or fly that may have been created by another, but I have the utmost in faith that, from what I have experienced on this board for example, that it is unintentional. The folks on this board have much more class than that. If someone posts their version of a pattern that I "originated" then I am tickeld pink! I was able to have a positive influence on another tyer and inspire them to continue the creative process! Not to be trite, but isn't one of the greatest of compliments to have someone want to, or be so insired so as to, copy or want to emmulate your work? I certainly believe so! Keep tying and keep 'em comimg!

Steelie

my hat off to you steelie for this last responce, very very well put. i certainly would be tickled to have anyone try to copy something i have made and as you mentioned. it's likely one of the greatest compliments one can get from this hobby. heres to you for a well written statements on this subject.

Graham, i didn't know that had happened what you spoke of. pretty sad when we lose our freedom of imagination. knowing you like i do i could assure your intentions on this step by step was purely creative and helpfull for those wanting to learn. sad when a teacher has to watch what they do. even sadder when we as humans have to deal with obsurd legalities in this creative art.

hey Will, print this for your records , i hold no one here responsible for any infringements of any art that i create and post on this forum. use my art as you wish. PERIOD

Bud Guidry

Good Day,

Fly tying, like art, is subjective. 2+2 is objective.....

We learn from our forbearers... I cannot count the times that I have sat at a great showing of the "masters" like Van Goh, Matisse, Michelangelo, etc; from the Louvre to the Guggenhiem in NYC! (I will travel for for great art!) The beauty of art! I sketched, observed and looked at the fine lines to see what I could LEARN! Whether we want to realize or accept it, what we do is becoming what I consider a great art of the ages. One of the "new" arts. In the case of realistic ties, we are in essence, creating sculpture! I have heard of art showings of our compatriots works in some of the great "studios" or such of the world! Imagine, a "hobby" turned into art! This is precisely what the classic art masters, like Bruegel or Picasso, masters did.... they either directly or indirectly taught their students, or their students learned by looking, observing and digesting that of their forbearers! (My first degree was a BFA in Industrial Design) Is that not the most pure essence of what we do? To share, experience and learn from one another! Many centuries ago one had to travel up to thousands of miles and many months to learn, where we now have the capability to share instantly on a global basis! Again, we learn from one another, that is one of the most premier essences of our current existence of creativity and sharing! As mentioned in a prior posting, it unfortunately is part of the human nature to forget or overlook those who have influenced us. It is not intentional, but sometimes simply overlooked. It is not that we are attempting to claim that we are the "originator" but rather that we are celebrating that which has influenced us to attempt to emulate that which our forbearers have presented to us as inspiration! I could go on and on and write a veritable novelette on the subject, but I believe that my point is made.

Steelie

AMEN steelie

I’m going to try and have more fun tying and if anyone duplicates something I do it will feel like an honor.

Graham

Bud, Graham and Steelie. You have all spoken extremly well, and it was inspiring to read your posts. I wish you all a great weekend.

/Ulf

Hi Ulf, thanks.

I found it interesting to learn about steelies appreciation for the arts. I have also been to many fine museums around the world including the Louvre in Paris, and a favorite a number of years ago was going to London to see the Henry Moore exhibit. I have no formal art training but my Mom got here masters from the London Academy of Arts, here mother was Henry Moore’s understudy, so may be I got a good artistic gene or two..lol..

I think we should start a new topic where we can learn a bit more about each other as tyers and individuals.

my names Bud Guidry and i am a spittin image of brad pitt. i'm 21, single, a brain surgeon and an advid member of the mile high club. my hobbies are shopping for fine clothes and fine dining. i own 2 porch's and a ferrari. my 74 year old parents are billionaires and own a mansion on the hill, right besides mine. i travel extensively around the world monthly doing surgery on people with screwed up brains. oh, and i also own a house on the reviara. i only pretend i tie flies to get chicks.

hows that graham?

Bud

Sounds perfect Bud... :rolleyes:

I work my butt off 50 weeks a year, try to have a couple of fun trips a year, and time is going by too fast.

I'm a newbie here, and so far can only dream of tying realistics. But, one of the things I have always admired about tiers is their giving nature and willingness to share ideas, techniques, processes and shortcuts. I was about to ask for some pointers and help with beginning to tie realistics, but now I don't know if I can, if posting step-by-steps is a problem. I just discovered the world of realistics here on this forum a few short days ago & was really looking forward to asking questions and learning how to tie these beauties. Not exact copies, but techniques and such.

The sharing attitude is one of the things that attracted me to this endeavor, among other things. Everyone is a copycat, that is the whole idea! If it doesn't look like the real thing, the fish won't take it. Who invented what technique is not important to me. Helping and being helped does. That is what makes our "hobby" different, unique. This giving is not something commonly found elsewhere.

Maybe if someone just wants recognition and admiration they should get into another art form, like pop music or the NBA. Competition and possessiveness makes tying petty and defeats the whole purpose.

Just my opinion.