Fly Tying
WPaoli

Introduction...

Hell, all.

I've been lurking on this forum for over a month and I just realized that I never introduced myself, so...

My name is Will, and I'm originally from Pittsburgh, PA but I now reside in Missouri. I'm in the Army and have been since 1990. I got into fly fishing this summer after I got back from Iraq (been there a few times) and had some pretty serious down time. I started out with one of those Wal-Mart $19.00 fly rods and within two months broke it over my knee and went out and spent some money on a couple nice rigs. So far I've managed to pull in a few large mouth bass and several 20"+ Rainbows- needless to say, I'm "hooked".

About a month ago I decided to start tying my own stuff after I'd spend a good $10.00 at a local fly shop each time I'd go fishing. I went out and bought a "Spider Vice" and built a $150.00 fly tying table from scratch. Why a sudden jump and not something gradual? Well, the first time I tied a fly I knew this hobby/art was for me. I'm totally engrossed when I'm sitting at the bench and I've discovered that, just like fly fishing, I can find my "center" (if you're into that kind of thing) and focus on one thing instead of the usual 100 different things.

I started out tying a lot of crackle back and nymph patterns then progressed to some original bass flies that seem to light the local fish's fires. Now I'm moving on to streamers and salmon patterns since I'm planning on moving to Washington State or Alaska on my next military duty station. I'm planning a fishing trip up north to go after the big fish as soon as I can figure out a good place to go.

I must say that in the short time that I've been a member here I've learned a GREAT deal from you guys. This is an EXCELLENT web site. I plan to get more involved here as soon as my skill improves to the point that I don't mind posting pictures of my craft. I realize that I'm still in the "grasshopper" stage, so please feel free to tell me if I'm being annoying when I ask stupid questions- we were all beginners once wink.gif I don't have any outside influence for tying flies, so I'm pretty much just flying by the seat of my pants here and soaking up everything I can from you guys.

Well, that's it. I look forward to meeting you all via on-line discussions and the like, and I hope to have few entries in the upcoming FTOTY contest.

Regards,

Will

Hi Will,

Welcome and thanks for the introduction. I know what you mean about being centered and focusing on one thing while tying, for me its therapeutic, and I look forward to my time at the vise. I agree with Sjo about the questions and answers.

Cheers,

Graham

A hearty welcome to the Forum Will from just up the road from Pgh. I certainly hope you get time to try your new skills here in PA. We certainly have our share of terrific fishing spots here.

Hi Will!

Welcome to FTF! If you need :help: there is someone here who knows whatever you ask!

BFR

Hey Will

You stationed at Wood?

Lots of good trout waters around you there. Try hittin the Roubidoux (sp?)

Patty creek is great for smallies in fall.(go down to Licking then west on 32)

Montauk is having a tournament this weekend. I might head down there Sat

Nice to have you on the forum

Duckydoty