Fly Tying
zip

ORVIS

Hey guys been a while since i posted.Well i moved to the smokeys(around 25 miles from where i was)And the fishing is great!Some of the biggest and most beatiful rainbows and browns i have ever caught.The good news is an Orvis store just opened right down the road from me.That place is awesome.I cant believe the amount of stuff they have there.

Also the new bass pro shop is only 1 1/2 miles away from me.They have a fly shop called the white water fly shop.Its huge for a lack of better words.Well just thought id tell ya'll.Comments or questions are welcome!

They are putting an Orvis store here in Madison right down the road from TroutGeek. I can't wait. We are in desperate need of a good fly shop here. The closest thing we have is an outdoor store that sells a few materials at outrageous prices. However, I'm sure the orvis store will not be cheap!

I love my local Orvis store in Pasadena. For the past year or two I tye with Orvis thread, use Orvis flexseal, and most of my realistic flies are made with Orvis foam. And the people working there are very knowledgable and friendly and it a great place to take my wife shopping at Christmas time..

Graham

We just got a new one here in Richmond. It is HUGE! 2 stories and each story is at least 3 times the size of any other Orvis I have been into. I like to go there when I want to dream. Normally I get to go when the G/F and I go shopping, I get 20mins in there for every hour she looks at cloths, she gets my credit card before I walk in and I make her promise that she will not give it to me no matter how much I beg. I do have to admit though I kinda feel like I am about 15 years too young when I walk in, everyone is much older then I am.

Why bother going to a store that only carries 1 overpriced, yuppie brand? It makes absolutely no sense. We all complain about the big box stores, well isn't this one?

Why? because I go to my local fly fishing shop first normally. It is just nice to have something fly fishing related in the mall when I am dragged there. Oh yeh and it is nice to try out the rods on their own artificial stream.

I just love Orvis gear, love the rods, reels, lines and clothes. We have damn all available in Orvis in Oz, one or two half baked stores that sell very little Orvis stuff so I have been buying direct off theire web site in US or catalogues, and the goods arrive FedEx in 2-3 days, just fantastic.

It makes me wonder about opening a store myself I like it that much, I am jealous of you guys being able to walk around in the big ones!

:P :P :P

"Why bother going to a store that only carries 1 overpriced, yuppie brand?"

Actually, many of the "Orvis brands" tying materials are re-packaged products from an entirely different source or manufacturer. And you're right, they do tend to be over-priced.

About the reference to yuppie(s)...let 'em shop at Orvis. (evil grin)

Hywel

flydog33, do you buy sage rods or reels, or how about loomis, or st. croix, or harline, they are all big stores whether or not you are contributing to big stores. even the small guy selling products contribute to the big stores. 99% of orvis dealers are small family run stores. I worked for one the last 3 years and let me tell its a family run buisness just selling some products made by a large co. so why not go to these stores.

No Sage, Loomis, Winston. I own Reddington, Tfo, 1 St. Croix. etc. Would I like to own those rods? Sure, who wouldn't. Will I pay retail for them Knowing what the mark up is on them? Hell no. As for buying tying materials, we have 2 box stores here. I go visit, I know both managers. Do I buy anything from them VERY rarely. Iwould rather support the local shop or get them from mail order. Sorry gang, but Orvis is still over priced.

what do you think the mark up on reddington is, we have other products along with orvis and there are no differances in price, actually alot of other companys are more..

Sorry gang, but Orvis is still over priced.

Not going to argue there. They do have a 10ft 7wt. at the store I go to that I want... it just feels so beautiful in my hand. I won't get it ever, but that does not mean I don't want it.

I agree product pricing at my local Orvis store is not cheap, and last Christmas my wife was somewhat surprised how costly some items are, such as $80 for an Orvis windproof lighter and over $140 for a nice pair of leather wading boots. But I enjoy visiting the store, looking around, holding and closely examining products, and more often than not leave empty handed, but smiling. Something that places increased value on the shopping experience for me, when compared to my other small local fly shop, is not being followed around like I’m about to stuff my pockets with merchandise. I’m sure the cost of magnetic security stickers inside packaging and exit door scanners drives up the cost of operations, but it’s something I perceive as added value, and makes my shopping experience more enjoyable. I very rarely go into my closest fly shop, even though I’ve spend considerable sums there over the past decade, because the owners don’t seem to trust anyone. The only person I really liked at that shop now works at the Orvis store, and he is much happier now, says it a great place to work. All things considered, including the high rent costs incurred on the up scale shopping area on Lake Ave in Pasadena is that I find value in shopping there. When my wife is browsing around the other stores in the area I can tell her, I’ll see you in an hour, and spend some time at the Orvis shop. Honestly, I’m thrilled to have this store close by.

Graham

I have 5 stores I can get material at within an hour drive! I go to the small shops first and if they don't have what I need, then I will go to Orvis or Bass pro shop. If I know I will be visiting my son at school, I will wait on buying and go to Cabela's! I get what I want where I can get it!

BFR