Fly Tying
Graham

What's in your vise?

Hey Guys,

I'm wondering what cool realistics are in your vise's?

Last night I started an adult dragonfly, sure made my hand sore scribing all the tiny lines into the wings, but I took my time and hopefully they will come out looking nice. To make the abdomen I placed wire in my vise and segmented foam, 12 fibers from a golden pheasant tail on top, with a long orange died hackle on top of that, sure made the segmenting tricky. For eyes, I cracked some green glass beads in half, tied a piece of gold-red organza over them, leaving a little tag end to allow for tying eyes onto the hook. I experimented with the eyes, such as painting over them with tinted varnish, but they look best un painted, at least the detail looks clearer. The abdomen is looking good, wings and eyes, and hopefully tonight I'll finally get a hook in the vise...

I recently decided to participate in a Forum Swap, the safety-pin-swap. I picked up a couple of gold brooch pins from my local fly shop and tyed a couple of golden stones, with the extra one for the swap meister. It was really tricky tying these because the fly had to be tyed sideways onto the hook, so it hangs right when pinned onto a vest or cap. The pin on the back of the brooch seemed to always be in the way and the shank to tye on is way too thick to make a nice slender body. Anyway, they're done and I can get back to being a bit more creative.

Hers a pic of the swap flies.

Graham

IPB Image

Cool looking pins Graham, that will make someone happy. It will realy look cool on someones hat when fishing and when someone comes along and says hey you should see the big bug on your head

Oh my Graham! That one would sure look fantastic on my fishing hat! :)

Great stuff as usual buddy! To bad I missed that swap, it would have been fun to participate in!

Looking forward to seeing your adult dragon, I'm sure it will be in the same high standards as always!

When it comes to what's in my wise for the moment, well, it would almost be easier to say what's not :P as usual these days I seem to be working on to many projects at the same time. A stonefly nymf, an adult dragonfly, another adult mayfly, a dragonfly nymf and a mayfly nymf that I'm sending away but mostly I'm working on a couple of flies for some upcoming competitions so I won't tell what they are for the moment :)

It's fun to have several projects at a time, but sometimes I think it would be better if I finished some flies instead of starting on new once all the time :help: :)

/Ulf

Great looking pins Graham! This weekend was a blast. A lifetime worth of memories! I didn't get to tie much but did my first dragonfly and a full Flexi-Body stonefly nymph. I'll post them tomorrow.

Best Wishes,

Sam

Hey Graham...I just finished a squid, a ladybug and a Golden Adult Stonefly. I've been working on a you-know-what and I'll send you a couple of photos. Adios. SullyTM

I finally had some time last night to work on my dragonfly, took step by step photos of everything, woke up this morning and hated the shape of the fly, and cut it off the hook. Luckily I was able to use the same abdomen which is tyed on a piece of thin copper wire. I also changed the color beads used for the eyes from green to dark blue, but, with the organza tied over the bead the blue color is only noticable when the fly is in sunlight.

Here what the first set of eyes looked like before tying them onto a hook.

IPB Image

Here's a dark pic of the abdomen, made of foam, golden pheasant tail and orange hackle.

IPB Image

Since I was up so early this morning and had some time before work, I re-started my dragonfly and here's how it looks now, before detail coloring and more leg tweeking and detail. The thorax top and sides have jungle cock feathers tyed on.

IPB Image

Tonight I plan on finishing this beast.

IPB Image

Here's how the stonefly nymf I'm working on is comming along, finished the abdomen last night and added base colouring. Tonight I added the first part of the legs and test bended one of them. Right now I'm working on the wing buds.

/Ulf

post-2830-1133219910_thumb.jpg

Hi guys :)

i realy like what you are doing!!!!that drogon is so verry nice Graham!!! :thumbsup:

and Uffe i think i have seen some of that one live ;)

here is what im just finished with a stone.....im already on the next one...LOL

and here is also a Dragon i have done for some weeks ago....Uffe inspired me to do one....

Leif

post-2969-1133220615_thumb.jpg

post-2969-1133220695_thumb.jpg

Ulf, Graham, Leif,

You guys are incredible tyers and come up with some great material ideas. You guys really inspire me to push myself to be a better tyer. I wish I will tie half as good as you guys!

Best Wishes,

Sam

Thanks guys! Hopefully I'll finish this one soon, right now my focus are on this one and my fly for the competition. I'll be away from home two days with work from thursday, but hopefully I'll be able to do some tying in the weekend.

Leif, I love those flies, the stonefly nymf has the exact shape, look and proportions as the one on the photos, that's just a fantastic imitation my friend! I would have loved to put it next to the real thing, you would have trouble guessing which once was an imitation and which one was the real thing!

/Ulf

Graham, Leif, Ulf...Boy Howdy! Graham, those dragonfly eyes :bugeyes: Ulf, can you provide a step-by-step coloring guide for that abdomen...it's incredible! Leif, The way you "bend" the bodies, legs etc. I'm going to start doing that :headbang: Later, SullyTM

Good Day,

Several things in fact. Putting the final touches on my dysdera crocata spider, however I think I might reood the head capsule.. should be posted in the next day or two. STILLLLL working on my octopus. Too many succers to contend with, but looking as if it will be well worth the effort. THen a Long horn beetle (wings, wing casing, thorax and head capsule covers to complete), a few midges/mosquitos, etc...

Steelie

Hey Steelie! It's gonna be great to see them all finished. I so much looking forward to seeing your next octopus, I'm sure it's gonna be fantastic!

/Uffe