Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
day5

swimming craw

OK after croping these photos and looking it over next time ill use a smaller weighted eye. the only one I had was red and I powder paionted it but some red still came back. Sage8wt turned me on to this hook. this is my first fly on it. so far so good I really like it!!! Im not sure why I used black thread next time ill use brown.

I like the red eyes! That hook looks great for that fly. I've got some of those hooks in size 4 or 2 as well, I'll get you some next time I see you. I think a bigger hook would be easier to work with and allow you to tie different sizes. Great looking pattern, Muskegon River trout would love that!

Good looking fly Matt. With the weight sitting at the eye and the trailing feathers on this hook have you had any problems with it 'torpedoing'?

I have not acctualy fished this fly the hook is a new one to me. Next time I am going to use a much smaller weighted eye. ie small bead chain. But I am interested in your thoughts as to how to make this fly fish the best!!

You may have no problems at all with it when you get it in the water. I asked though because in my experience it seems that flies on curved hooks that are intended to be stripped or moved can be tricky.

I tied up as close as I could come to this last night, I did some bath tub trials and had no problems initially with it. I then tried to simulate use by roughing up the bottom a bit and giving the bell weight a slight twist. When I did that it still worked well enough as long as I had 4X or heavier; lighter then 4X with the slight twist on the eyes and it started to spin. I think that as long as you secure the eyes well enough that they don't twist on you then you are on to a great pattern here. :thumbsup:

I have not acctualy fished this fly the hook is a new one to me. Next time I am going to use a much smaller weighted eye. ie small bead chain. But I am interested in your thoughts as to how to make this fly fish the best!!

One suggestion:

It appears that with the weighted eyes in their current postition, the fly will ride with the hook point down. If you tie the weighted eyes in on the opposite side of the hook shank, it will ride hook point up. This will make it more snag proof, and those claws will be up in a defensive fighting position.

Good Day,

See, this is why you all should have fish tanks! :P I have several but only have my 40 gallon tall and 30 gallon long set up. I use them all the time to test subsurface patterns. Then I have a tiny 2 gallon that I can put on my desk for testing dries and emergers. Really helps!

Steelie

I understand the thought but I was going for a fleeing craw not a defensive craw. When a craw swims its tail curls under to pump water. that is the look I was going for. Hey snags happen! That is why I tie my own Or why I started to tie my own now Im just plain freakin addicted!! Ill tie up a defensive craw tonite to see how it looks!! That also is a good idea!!!!