Fly Tying
Spentwings

Rite Bobbins

Personally I am not a huge fan of them. I did get a few for working with Wapsi gelspun and deerhair, but found them hard to use and frankly not worth the price. I use almost exclusively the Griffin bobbins with the ceramic tube, and adjust tension with the grip of my palm.

I use griffin ceramics as well. I have an odd bobbin I forget what it is but I like to use it as well. The problem is that it has to be taken apart to change thread.

I use an Orvis bobbin,its small and holds 3 spools of thread!

Well, contrary to what has appeared so far. I like them. I use two, one large and one smaller. I like them. You do have to spend some time to learn how to use them and the drag adjustment nneds to be changed with the type of thread you are using, but once you get the hang of them - things speed up. They are not like conventional bobbins and if you don't take the time to play around and learn the drag system, you might as well buy regular bobbins. I like them for hair spinning too. The large one is about all I use for my salt water ties on large flies.

They are usually at the shows - stop by and get some input from the guy who designed them. It's worth the time.

I really like mine. Only downside is that changing a spool of thread is a tiny bit more involved, but really that's an easy thing to get used to. The adjustable tension is wonderful, same bobbin handles A through 14/0 with equal ease.

I Love them. Personally I have four of htem. I keep htem set up for my main colors.

I have a large one set up for Kelvar thread.

I also have three smaller ones set up for brown, black and olive threas.

I have other bobins I use for swithcing around thread.

If they were not so expensive I would swithc my dozen or so cheaper normal metal sytle holders with them.

I am sure there are other opinions but I give them a big thumbs up.

Robert