Fly Tying

RS2 and Trico Spinner

that's deer hair? looks like brass wire to me. I tie tricos tails with 2 fibers from goose wing, yes it is usally gray in color but it doesn't seem to matter when it is that small, size 20 and smaller here in MN. I do not "bump" the thread, I simply seperate the fibers and pinch off the farthest away end from the shank and tie it in, it usually splits. I tie thread bodied tricos, if anyone cares. CDC for the spinner, the fish like them.....that I can say, and not the carp but the trout.

toght lines.

hds

my spinner wings go perpendicular to the shank, not above it....you know in a T....

tight lines,

hds

Hds

The fly that your describing with the T.... style wing is called a Trico Spinner It too has a split tail, but this fly is an RS2.

The tail on the fly I tied is deer hair, and not brass wire.

Deer hair provides a little floatability which this fly needs

the problem with both the Rs2 and Trico's I find is they thy are easily sunk in fast water that’s why I try to use a hollow hair like deer body hair and poly dubbing.

I know the hair looks a little course on this small of a fly, but that’s because it's hollow.

Also the deer hair provides enough strength for me to adjust the tail after wrapping it in place.

I have plans of hosting a Dry fly swap later on thsi winter, I hope that you will join it and maybe tie us up some of your size #20 or smaller spinners.

user posted image

Hello everyone, thanks for all the input on the tails for the rs2 and trico spinner. I sat down on really concentrated on it and I was able to tie one up in about 3-4 minutes total. So I am pretty happy with that.

I will have to try and remember about the deer hair for the tail. I will try that this summer.

Thanks to everyone.

Jim

I think the tail is real important. It makes it float straight and keeps it from becomming an emerger smile.gif

I use a small bump of heavier thread 3/0 or 6/0 for spacing and then tie on the microfibbets with my 8/0 or 12/0. I have real trouble tying them on with heavy thread.

I have tied quite a few RS2s and used microfibbets for the tails. I use a small ball of dubbing to split the tail. One trick I found to get the tails to split is tie the microfibbetts in long with a few wraps, pull the tails toward the the eye to adjust the lenght. Then after clipping off the excess wrap back on to the dubbing ball. If the tails don't split on there own, take the end of your scissor's tip and gently work the tail from the dubbing ball to the end.

You could also try to split the tail before you tie them in. It is a harder to adjust the lenght but easier to keep split.

Good Luck!

Thanks OSD,

I believe that it was your idea to use the deer hair for the tail and I am going to try it.

I was in the Mad River this past Friday and I saw plenty of spent Tricos. So I have been thinking about tying myself up a couple and trying them out. The one thing that I noticed was that the body color was an iridescent black body with a smokey gray wings and I was going to use Magpie Herl for the body. I do plan to get out tomorrow and give them a try.

I have had success with Trics with and without tails, I think the wings and body silhouette are much more important. There is a Tric. Pattern originated for the Little Lehigh in PA. that is called "Al's rat "a reverse tie with no tail. Works when nothing else will over heavly fished waters.

I second the recommendation to use the figure-eight method. Divided tails used to give me fits, too, until a commercial tier showed me how to do it quickly and easily with a couple of figure-eight wraps of thread.

I used it when I filled an order for 12 dozen No. 22 polywing Trico spinners (divided tails, thread abdomen, dubbed thorax, flat poly wings). I averaged 2 minutes a fly.

My close-up vision has never been the same since. :hyst:

Fish cant count, use the bump of thread or dubbing. if the tails do not co-operate you can figure eight them in place. This will also work for biots. Even if you have to dub the thread a little more.

If you decide that you are just going to use a few fibers with no exact number you can make a bump of thread or dubbing just above the barb.attach the fibers on top of the shank, well in front of the bump. wind the thread rearward over the fibers to the bump. The bump will splay them, this will also work for hair or hackle barbs.