Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
harleyhunter

Hackle Question.

Hey Guy and Gals,

I always see hackle companies say their hackle goes down to size 20 or so. Where do you get hackle for smaller sizes? Just curious since the hooks go down to size 32. The smallest I tie is size 22. Thanks for yor input ahead of time. Happy New Years to all and be safe out there!

Best Wishes,

Sam

Sam... we had this same discussion on a regional board I belong to. One of the guys is a major guide in the Arkansas river systems. For his small hackles, he uses covert feathers from woodcock, snipe, starling... whatever. He is very pleased with the results. Personally the smallest I've tied needing hackle is a 20 and the micro packs have them.

Mike

Hi Sam...all the more expensive rooster capes will tie small flies down to around a 26 or so...on the smaller flies you can often get away with no hackle...for small bluewing olives 20 and smaller try tying the post fly.

The fly has an upright post of light gray or white poly yarn(CDC will work too) and a split tail with either a dubbed olive or olive thread body. These flies work great and you don't need the expensive small hackles to tie them. One small fly you do need the hackle for is the Griffith's gnat. These flies are absolutely killing in our area in small size 22 and 24's. When you go to Somerset, see if you can find one of the Whiting grizzly midge saddles... a quarter saddle should keep you in Griffith gnats and other small patterns for a while. Finally, if you're tying parachutes you can get away with a little larger hackle than normal.

Hope that helps,

John

Many thanks as usual guys!

John I'm counting down the days till Somerset, looks like I'm going to learn a ton there!

Best Wishes,

Sam

IPB Image

The tinyest of hackles come from the part of the cape thats shown on the right side of the photo. Its also the head area of the bird.

I have found that if you want the hackle for small flies you need to buy the #1 or gold capes ( i paid $90 for one of my gold capes), platinum capes are even more expensive, but will tie smaller yet.

Your not goung to get a lot of quality small hackle feathers on a tyers grade cape :crying: