Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Fly Vices

I am a relatively new fly tyer. As such I have a very basic "kit" vice. I'd like to buy a new fairly good vice. Any suggestions as to what kind and where I can get the best price. I'd like to spend under $150.00(way under if possible). Thanks in advance for your help!

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I would suggest taking a look at the Griffin Odyssey Rotary Cam vise. It retails for around $129.99 USD and I can tell you from personal experience it is worth the money. It offers true rotary action and will not let hooks slip.

The only down side is that it only comes in a C-clamp, but it can easily be customized to fit an existing pedesal if you require. You just can't buy it in a pedestal version.

It was one of my first vise upgrades, and I still use it to this day, even preferring it over my Regal at times. It also comes with a lifetime warranty.

You can read a review on this vise at:

http://www.onlineflytyer.com/review_3.asp

Good luck!

Renzetti Traveller is a great vise in that price range, I have one and I like it. I also have a Dyna-King Barracuda Jr. that is about 200.00 this one excels at holding larger hooks while the Renzetti is better at small stuff. Both have different jaws that are available but I find it easier just to have two vices. I tie all of my dries and nymph's on the renzetti and all of my streamers, bass bugs, and larger stuff on the Dyna-King. If I could only have one I think I'd have to go with the Renzetti and maybe buy a larger set of jaws later, you can get it in either c-clamp or pedestal base and it is very easy to switch back and forth. The Renzetti also has a huge assortment of attachments and accessories available. Good Luck on your decision and have fun tying!

I have two suggestions, first would be a DynaKing Kingfisher for $129 and the second would be a Thompson Cobra now going for about $140.

I started out on an original Herter's vise and an original Thompsons 2A. About eight months ago I bought the Dyna King Kingfisher for $100 and I couldn't be happier. Holds the hook tight and you can spin it around to look at the bottom but it is not a rotary vise.

If you want to look at a really good article look at

http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index.html if the link doesn't work go to www.flyfisherman.com an do a search on vises and go to the article by Hans Weilmann. Really excellent. You won't see the Dyna King Kingfisher as it was still in production at the time of the article.

Hope this helps,

Fatman

Forgot to add if you have a local fly shop in your area see if they'll let you tie on a few to see how you'll like them or check with friends and try theirs.

Fatman

If you're not looking for a true rotary vise, the Regal is a great vise for the money. Among the best for hook holding capability. I would recommend the midge jaws if you're not tying saltwater flies. Check www.hookhack.com. I think they're still giving a 20% discount for on-line orders.

BambooPat

i have the renzetti traveler. i like it, but wish i had the cam lock on it (only have the thumb screws right now). i have 2 other vices the kids tie on when they tie, and they are okay (thompson style).

i would say the best thing to do is to go to the local fly shop with your own hooks and materials and ask to try some out. that is the easiest way to see what you will like/dislike about every vice they have. most shops wont stop you from tying like that if they know you are interested in purchasing one. nothing beats first hand experience with vices. you can read all you want about them, and talk to people too, but if you buy it without first trying one out and dont like it then you are kinda screwed. especially after dropping down a few dollars for it.

Jeff,

I can highly recommend the regal.I've been using one for 8 years, good hook holding power and I've had no problems.

Regals are nice however I must say that I snapped the jaws on my last one. I was using a size 20 hook and it slipped out when I pulled the thread, and when it did the jaws slapped together (due to the spring loaded action) with such force that the corner of the one the jaws cracked off.

Probably my fault for putting the hook too close to the edge, but never the less, it broke. sad.gif

I would have to vote for the renzetti i have had one for 8 years or so and have never had a complaint about it. Although i have to say i just got the 6# base for it for christmas to get away from the clamp and that was the best addition to it i have ever done.

SD

Another vote for the Renzetti traveler. I have the model with the cam jaws and the base.

Mike

Jeff,

Opinions on vises are like bellybuttons, everyone has one. Well, except maybe Smallie... You would never buy a car without test driving it first, so why should a vise be any different?

Looks like my vote might be on the unpopular side. I say spend the 80 bucks on a danvise, its what I tie on. And spend the rest of your budet on materials. Also a PEAK vise at 120 bucks is a damn fine vise. I personally would never endorse renzetti, since they decided to go after any other vise company with a bent arm and sue them for trademark infringement. Just my opinion. Also someone suggested the thompson cobra, I wouldnt go there either, thompson has gone out of business.

john

I started off on a cheap Thompson knock off over 23 years ago. Held up fine until I started serious tying. Think I was burning up a vise every 5-7 months (even more when I started production tying). Had the Griffin Odyssey, and was a good vise. I have the barracuda now, and wouldn't trade it (but may buy a norvise to go with it lol).

In your price range, it really depends on if you need a full rotary. I have a regal I got for free. Going to use if for my students so they don't have to drag their vises with them to my house. Use it and was a great vise. But that's capping your limit. I can get you a deal on a Griffin Odyssey though. Well under the $130 price range. Let me know if you're interested.