Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Redwings1

Jungle Cock cape

Lately I have some tying some patterns using subsitutes for Jungle Cock and would like to stop doing so but find the cost generally prohibitive. At the last show I was at there were capes for between $95 and $150 but I would like to try to do better. The feathers do not necessarily have to be 'Grade A' as they are not for show flies, but of course need to be in pretty good shape. Do any of you have a good discount site for feathers or a supplier with lower prices, or is this one spot that I am going to have to bite the bullet...?

Bite the bullet or you'll end up with a lot of split nails (I mean the eyes of each feather, not your fingernails).

Jeff "Bear" Andrews of Michigan has the best, I've found, in that same price range. They're from Scottish skins. He can be reached at: [email protected]; and his website: www.BEARANDREWS.com. He'll hand select each cape, unlike a supply house that would send the next one on the rack.

Kevin

Yeah, I think it was worth the drive up to tie in the show. It is a smaller venue, but the people that came through were very interested and had quite a few stop and ask extensive questions, so it was fun to be there.

I was outside the main room on the way to the conference room. For much of the day I tied parachute BWOs adn then simple streamers. I had the StumpBugs and Pike flies on the table next to the photo album.

I recently ordered and received a super-grade cape from Fishermen's Feathers.

A word of warning, though -- the bird flu scare has prompted authorities in the UK to 1.) resume the CITES certification process; and 2.) require that bird capes be shipped via courier instead of via Royal Mail. This pushes the price up approximately $30. The super-grade cape I got was listed at $120, but ended up costing $154.

Another potential bugaboo is in British customs. Fishermen's Feathers shipped the cape on Dec. 12. I received it Jan. 3. According to Charlotte Stone at Fishermen's Feathers, it spent most of that time in the customs office on the UK side of the pond.

John

I ordered from Fishermensfeathers as well. I was happy with the product and they will refund you if you don't like what you get. I also bought a display quality cape but it was back in 2004 and I had to pay CITES back then but it did get here in like 5 days.

Jeff

WOW...that is a ridiculous low price for a full cape. I'll have to look into that.

KevCompton...here is the link to the NCFF show post...I am the tall one in the back.

NCFF show post

one word.........EBAY

sure there might be some split nails, but nothin' a little sally hansen's can't fix.

Did I mention that JC necks can be had for less than 50 bucks?

the choice is yours.