Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
zip

Whats the craziest thing youv done to git materials?

Whats the craziest thing you folks have done to git materials?

well Zip where do I start....................I suppose the funniest time I decided to collect some materials was when I was attending a wedding in a dress suit and the reception was in the grounds of a large country manor house......they had large avaries with exotic birds and yes you guessed it I spotted some center tail molts from a huge macaw, I handed my glass of champagne to a person nearby had to lay down in the dirt and slide my hand under the cage and stretch in.............I am not going to tell you the comments that I got from my then wife........ :blink: but im sure you can make that up. Anyways I left that wedding reception a happy man, 3 very long center tails from a macaw.

I could go on with more tales but you guys are going to think im crazy........ :headbang:

Ok I have started the tales lets see them all guys........... :lol:

Mike :P

The strangest thing that I can think of was about 15 years ago and I was driving to northern Michigan to do some fishing and I saw a dead turkey out of the corner of my eye on a two track road. Since I was going about 55 miles per hour it took me a little while to stop the car and get turned around. I turned onto the two track and proceeded to get my knife out to work on my find when another car pulled up behind me and asked me if I was going to take any of the feathers from that bird. He also had spied the turkey and wanted the feathers for fly tying. I told him that was also my objective. He told me that since I was there first, although it was by only by a half minute or so, that the bird was mine. He was so nice about it that we split up the feathers. We could not believe that two people driving past a two track would stop for the same reason just seconds apart. Now that was strange.

Bob

I got a call in September from an aquaintance. He's a serious hunter and a founder of the local chapter of the Wild Turkey Federation. The call came on a Friday night and he asked me if I'd be willing to teach a class on fly fishing and fly casting at the local Rod and Gun club. It turns out that it was a class for women only, and it was the following morning. I had a tee time to play a nice round of golf with my wife and another couple, but the possibility of a hunting connection with a turkey jones was too much to resist. I begged off golf, packed up five fly rods and a bunch of fly boxes and headed to the Rod and Gun.

My "class" was 14 ladies who came through in three groups during the day. In one group there were two women who got bit by the bug, asked if they could have some flies and proceeded to remain and fish in the gun club pond all day. The rest of the groups cycled through and then went on to shoot handguns, shotguns and bows. My two fly fishers ended up catching bass and bluegill until one hooked herself in the arm pretty deeply with a size 8 wooly bugger. I told her I'd pop the fly out but it might sting a bit - she looked me cold in the eye and said "I've given birth twice". She never flinched.

So I spent 10 hours there, got yelled at by my wife for never showing up at the golf course for the "back nine" I'd promised to make - but I did get a full wild turkey pelt!

Joe C.

It was a dark and cold full moon night, here in Northern Michigan, I was working the 4pm to midnight shift then, but that particular day I went in at 8am to work a double. I got out at midnight and was ready to get home and get some sleep. WHile I was pulling out of the parking lot, I remembered the wife had asked me to pick up a gallon of milk and some oreo cookies on the way home. SO I headed into town, and pulled into the Super Wal-Mart parking lot. I was unbuckling my seat belt when out of the corner of my eye I saw a decrepid looking old man hobbling between the back edge of the parking lot and the edge of a large forest about 200 yards away. He was wearing a long black cloak, like something you'd see in a harry potter movie. I don't know why but I just sat there watching for a minute or two and stared at him.

A few minutes passed and he stopped, and looked right at me. His eyes glowed green, like the eyes of a wild animal as you pass it by on the highway. Shivers ran down my spine, he opened his mouth and smiled, his teeth were sharp and jagged like a wolf. My first instinct was to buckle my seat belt and get the hell out of there, but as I was reaching back for it, I realized what I was seeing. An elderly warewolf :o

I opened the car door and as I did so, he began to run at me, on all fours, just sprinting right at me. I reached into my pocket and grabbed my handy dandy swiss army knife and flipped out the main blade. I jumped up on top of my car right as he made a giant leap from about 30 yards away at my throat. Like I was taken over by forces beyond human comprehension, I did a triple back flip, with a twist, off the hood of the car and landed on him with my foot on his throat, pinning him to the ground. He thrashed and clawed at me with his razor sharp nails. I reached my knife to the sky and pummeled it though his chest. After several minutes his body went limp. Had it been younger I don't think I'd be alive to tell this story today.

I dragged him back to the edge of the parking lot where I first saw him and went inside the Wal Mart and bought a few boxes of gallon sized zip lock bags, a pair of scissors and a couple straight razors. Like all good husbands I forgot the oreos and milk for my wife, but I had a good excuse this time. I paid and went back out to shave my kill. When I was done with him there wasn't a whisker left. I went home, took the verbal abuse from my wife and sat down at my bench and tied my first warewolf hare's ear.

^

|

|

:blink:

Nothing to crazy here. I just pick up the feathers that my African Grey parrot lives behind and host your pet swap about once a year with his donations.

A buddy of mine and me used to drive up and down the road here for hours cutting tails off of squirrels, deer, and deer hide.

I guess the craziest thing I have done was while moving I came across a 6 point buck on the side of the road, eyes still glowing. I rolled up the back of that U-Haul and my buddy and I threw the buck inside. Besides the fur, man that was a lot of meat.

Also when I was a cop in Delaware I had a guy come up to me saying that he hit a deer with his car. We had the guy wait there went to where the deer had been hit and there was a ton of people standing around it, all of them arguing over who was going to take this deer home (deer was still breathing) I got out of my truck and John pulled up in the squad car and we got out to check the scene. This one guy comes up to me and says I got here first and clamed the deer but every one else is trying to take it as well. I told them since it was on state property, and they have to come to me to give them the road kill tag for it, and since the guy that killed it came to me and said I could have the deer then I was taking it, any questions :hyst: Needless to say I got the deer, John and I loaded her up in the truck when she stopped breathing and I took her home skinned her out and cut up the meat. She has some of the thickest fur you have ever seen and was only close to a year old so you can imagine what the meat was like mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Ashby

Hey OLB,any chance you still have any of the fur left?

Heck, I thought stopping and getting tails from roadkills was normal. The only time I had trouble with it was when I spotted a blue heron laying on the side of a pond. I was new to tying, but figured it would make some nice flies and went down to get some of the feathers. I was plucking away when someone came up behind me and asked what I was doing, when I turned around our local gamewarden was standing there. Did you know it is illegal to kill or possess any part of a blue heron in Oregon? Luckily I was able to convince him I didn't kill it and he even let me keep the feathers. By the way, blue heron feathers make for some really nice hackles on steelhead flies.