Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mb82

dying Epoxy

What do you use? I have seen a few patterns lately that have dyed epoxy. I was wondering what you add to get the colors?

TIA

Hi Jeff,

Powdered glitter works fairly well. Also, different colors of Hard As Nails works but I usually have to place a couple of coats to get the same look as epoxy. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

You can use a drop of Testors model paint on a needle which you just mix in. That said, I usually use glitter of some sort. Hit your local craft store and you will see more kinds than you can imagine.

Looks like they have it covered. I mix my epoxy with a toothpick, so if I want colored epoxy I just dip the pick before mixing.

I use pearl.....I work in an automotive paint shop and we get 4 oz bottles of dry pearl (superfine glitter) to add to the clear coat finish of cars. The bottles run about $120 but I just leave a smidgen in the bottom when I use it for customers. This doesn't affect the ratio required since I use such a small amount at home. This stuff comes in quite a few colors, and man-o-man does it sparkle! :headbang: Check with your local paint shops and custom car shops, I'm sure they'd be willing to donate a tiny bit to you....it really dosen't take much at all, a pile as big as a dime will treat an entire bottle of head cement.....and then some!!!!

In the past I've used food coloring for epoxy to tie up some ants. If it's just a small head, I'll use a permanent marker. Another trick is to apply transfer foil to the epoxy while it's still tacky. Mother of Pearl is my favorite.