Fly Tying
ohiotuber

epoxy fly dryers-recommendations?

:dunno:

I am planning on tying some epoxy flies. Mostly red butt epoxy ants. I understand the wheel type dryers work very well. So far I have seen 2 types...1 has a foam wheel & the other has a coil spring. The coil spring has clips available for the sizes I hope to tie (14-18). The foam type seem fine, but how long will the foam last & how easily replaceable is it?

Thanks for any & all replies,

Mike

Good Day,

Hmmm... I would actually entertain looking to build one for yourself. I did and it cost about $8. Look for a motor that has maybe 12 revolutions per minute.

Foam can be replaced. Or covered with sticky back foam.

Steelie

Hi Mike,

Steelie is right about building a turner. A BBQ rotisery <S?> motor is a good option. Also, I've used a variable speed electric drill in a pinch to turn flies or a fly rod I placed One Coat on the guide wraps. Currently I use A Flex Coat battery operated turner with a foam head but they are quite expensive. I've used it for six years and the foam seems to be holding up fine. If I had to replace the foam, I'd just cut a circle of foam and attach it to the old foam with several pins (the type Gretchen uses when she is sewing). Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I was at a tying demo, and was told that replacement foam was as simple as buying a foam swiming toy, one of those long cylinders that the kids use as toy swords in the pool, and slicing a wheel off of it.

If the hole in it is too large for your turner, just wrap it with tape to get a snug fit.

Hey folks,

Thanks for the FANTASTIC suggestions!

I loved the suggestion for a BBQ rotisserie (spelling forgiven Al ;) )...I can build a stand where I can slip the motor on & off & STILL use it for my shish-kebabs. All I need is the wheel & an appropriate sized shank, which I think I have somewhere in the basement. Those swimming "noodles" are also a great idea, & 1 would last a lifetime!

Thanks, folks!!...your creativity & common sense ideas have baled me out!

Mike