Fly Tying
down2earthlv

Which way do you wrap?

Which way do you wrap?  

202 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

no Willy everybody is different, many things I do patialy right handed and left. I was changed when I was a kid

I use to tie exclusively over the top since that was how i was first taught. Then some-one showed me a way for high mounting wings using both directions. I failed at that for a long time. Then i started tying most of my easy fishers the opposite way until i could finally do it. I wonder if i can remember how to do the switch for the far wing???

If you are looking at the hook eye down the length of the shank, i usually wrap clockwise.

But when im counterribbing, binding down a palmered hackle, or securing a herl body that i wraped clockwise, i would then wrap in a counterclockwise direction, forming an X when the rib crosses the hackle.

Same

I tie over clockwise as my Grandfather taught me 60 years ago. Have met some accomplished tiers over the years who do it differently but I don't think either way matters to the fish.

I wrap over the top like most replies. But I've tried it both ways. For me, the clincher to wrapping over the top was in tying on material. When I wrapped under and away, I couldn't really see what the material was doing as I wrapped line across it. Wrapping over the top and away, I can clearly see if the material is skewing, sliding or otherwise misbehaving. I can also use gravity to lie material, say a feather tip, into the thread and then have it stay in place as I wrap the thread up and over it.

This is the reason why I tend to tie wrapping towards myself. I feel I get a better look at how the materials are moving with the thread wraps as I tie towards myself.

That being said I have focused on wrapping away for the last year or so as I have had to create some tying vids for work and wanted to go with the flow of most tyers.

J