Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Madore

A few more BIG Pike flies

A friend who builds fine fly rods but doesn't tie flies (what's up with THAT???) asked me to tie up a few Pike flies for him and I was happy to oblige. I posted some size 2 ties I did for him earlier, and here are a half-dozen size 6/0 monstrousities that I've been fooling around with. My inspiration was a quick peek at the flies another buddy just received from the recent Pike swap.

All of these are straight out of my head....

IPB Image

IPB Image

I'm bummed about the colour quality here because you can't see the big, fat, green belly on this guy! I rather like this li'l porker and may keep him for myself. For you non-metric types out there, 25cm is about 10 inches. :bugeyes: He won't be catching "hammer handles" with these babies!"

Brian: One word of caution.... Most of this batch of 6 are weighted. Weighted a LOT. Do NOT, under ANY circumstances allow one of this lot to hit you in the back of the head! :hyst: In fact, I'll have to get you to sign a waiver when I deliver hand-deliver them to you in April.

Cheers!

Gary

Good looking stuff Gary...but I wouldn't count on no hammers...they are viscious little bastards... :headbang:

Looks good Gary. The Pike where I fish for them will ranf from "hammer handles" to 30 lbs. The best I have done is a little over 10 pounds spinning. Hope to do some float tube fly fishing this year.

builds fine fly rods but doesn't tie flies (what's up with THAT???)

Tying flies never made ecenomical sense to me. Now I have you guys to do it for me :hyst:

Brian: One word of caution.... Most of this batch of 6 are weighted. Weighted a LOT. Do NOT, under ANY circumstances allow one of this lot to hit you in the back of the head! hysterical.gif In fact, I'll have to get you to sign a waiver when I deliver hand-deliver them to you in April.

So this is the project you needed the anchor from that sailboat for yesturday...........lol ............looking good buddy.

Look fishy to me Gary! Brian you will definatly want to be carefull with anything our favorite nutbar ties for you(he might show up wearing a speedo when he brings them down to you! :blink:

Man.. those look good! The're Muskies starting to show up in my home waters. I'm gonna have to get some of these on the go.

What weight flyrod/line are you planning on using for throwing these big daddy's?

What weight flyrod/line are you planning on using for throwing these big daddy's?

These are for a friend, and I have no idea what he's gonna chuck 'em with.

Brian? Have you got a big cannon ready for these flies?

Cheers!

Gary

Look fishy to me Gary! Brian you will definatly want to be carefull with anything our favorite nutbar ties for you(he might show up wearing a speedo when he brings them down to you! :blink:

I'll be flying down and so will be sporting a sage green one-piece, but I'll see what I can wear under my flying suit.... Maybe a thong this time? Yeah, a thong. A zebra thong to match the grizzly hackle on some of the flies.... :headbang:

Cheers!

Gary

Gary

I have a 9'0" 7 wt Gatti but I am thinking of building an 8 wt that is 9'6" or 10'.

Any of you guys tried flies for Wallaye?

Brian

Gary

I have a 9'0" 7 wt Gatti but I am thinking of building an 8 wt that is 9'6" or 10'.

Any of you guys tried flies for Wallaye?

Brian

My 9'8" 8wt chucks big flies like this with ease.... Don't think you can go wrong with either the 9'6" or 10 footer.

I haven't gone Walleye fishing with a flyrod yet, but 99% of the Walleye I've caught have been on a yellow jig/grub with a spinning rod, so I can't see how a fly wouldn't work... Especially something that looks like a yellow jig/grub, maybe a bright Wooly Bugger would be the ticket. :dunno:

Cheers!

Gary