Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
byhaugh

Anyone else use spun deer hair for hackle?

I have been tying for over 30 years and have recently become an advocate of spinning deer hair for the hackle on certain dry flies. Wonder if anyone else is doing this? I use Pettijohn (sp?) clips, but am sure a simple wide office paper clip would do as well. I have photos of my fly "the rusty" on Hans Weilenmann's web site - "flytier's page". I will try to post a link here. Would like to hear from other tiers about this method.

I've been playing on and off today with a deer hair hackle fly. There is one posted by wickedcaprenter in the coldwater forum right now actually, "all nigh hex"

Shane Stalcup also uses a different style of deer hair hackle, undershank parachute style to resemble legs.

Cool fly:headbang:

Hi byhaugh,

I've tied hair hackle dry flies (both trout & steelhead) since the mid 80's. They work really great! Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Al,

Thanks for the information. Could you post a photo or a link to a photo of your style of spun hackle for me??

Thanks,

Byron

Hans,

Thanks. Very nice flies. Somehow, I missed seeing them. I thought I had looked at most of the tiers you have on your site.

Thanks again.

Byron

Hi Byron,

Hair hackle flies are on my Tying Hair Wing Flies video or you can get a steelhead version (Waker Wulff) at www.flyanglersonline.com.

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com