Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Wapsi Hard tapered, cupped and slotted

I couuldn't get into the Product Reviews forum so I'm posting here.

I picked up some of these since I've been short on time lately and felt they might catch me up on my popper tying.

I found they don't take to paint from a brush very well. The hard body is smooth and the paint spreads too thin. They might work ok if you air brush the paint on but I'm on my second coat with a brush and it's gonna need at least one more coat if not two. They've cost me more time than what I thought I would make up.

I wonder if there is some kind of primer or base coat that would speed things up for you. Maybe ask at the hardware store?

I had problems with thm as well. They are hard to work with, especially if you have a slot the needs cleared, and pait just does not want to stick to the surface. Once they are done though they are indestructible. I would definitely say that they really don't save you on time though...just sawdust.

Yes I am using acrylic paint.

They weren't too expensive. I believe they were under $3 for a dozen. I'm wondering if I clear coated them first if that wouldn't help or sanding them to rough up the surface.

I finish up the package but thought I'd give the heads up to anyone thinking like I was that you could save some time 'cuz you won't.

I guess that's what I get for taking a short cut.

:D I would try to roughen the outer surface with an 80-120 grit sandpaper to give the surface some tooth for the paint to grab on. Try the 100-120 grit first if that doesn't work well then go to the 80. You have to remove the smooth outer finish in order for the paint to adhere. If you epoxy after then the finish should remain in place, regardless of what you use for colour. Doc

Where'd you get them at? Not really looking to save time, just don't have the space/want to make the space, for making my own popper blanks, price sounds descent

I was thinking the sand paper thing would work.

I picked mine up at Gander Mountain but noticed Cabelas will carry them too.