Fly Tying

Good Day,

Hex II... This is a follow up to the hex I posted a while back. Some differences include more detail at the end of the abdomen where the tails emerge, moreattention to the claws, wings different color, head smaller, etc.

post-295-1145764205_thumb.jpg

Steelie

Good Day,

OLB - May I assume you are refering to the yellowish stucture at the base of the two large wings? If so, that is a yellow broom bristle that has been trimmed away at the tip to create a taper. I do this for two reasons. First of all, to support the wing and keep it from wanting to sag or bend. And secondly, if you look at most maylfies, including the larger ones, you will notice that the "main vein" at the base of the large wing is actually quite robust. So this was done to create that girth as well. You can see the bristle clearly between the front and middle leg in this photo.

post-295-1145805931_thumb.jpg

Steelie

Very nice mayfly Steelie. The detail is right on! Is there a "steelie" way of constructing the segmented abdomen? I like everything about it. Thanks for any instruction...

BTW...Do you tweak the pattern for fishability?

Adios. Thom

Good Day,

Thank to you all for your kind words.

Sully - I create the abdomen in a similar fashion to many other tiers. I use a method similar to the folded raphia and chenille method.

1 - Create extended abdomen of tapered micro chenille.

2 - Tie in main tails and, if needed, three claspers.

3- Due to the anotomy of the hex, I cut two strips of raphia instead of just one. This is beacuse the Hex has a distinct ridge running the length of the abdomen. Trim tie in end to a point and tie one piece on top and one on the botom of the abdomen structure.

4 - Add a drop of nail polish or such to abdomen sub-structure and pull raphia over the abdomen.

5 - Press the two pieces of raphia with your fingers onto the abdomen squeezing the nial polish all around. This is done to create the pronounced ridge mentioned before.

6 - Trim excess and trim ridge to shape.

7 - Repeat.

post-295-1145992533_thumb.jpg

Steelie