Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
maddog48

Elk Hair Caddis

Wanting to tie up some elk hair caddis, which is the best elk hair to use? I have done a few CDC and Elk, but actually the CDC and Elk is really CDC and Deer. :unsure:

Mike

Deer body hair is a perfectly acceptable substitut for elk hair. They are both hollow and behaive the same whem forming the wing on the EHC. Ive used both and think they are interchangeable.

I guess it depends on what you have on hand to tie with.

That is true but I find the deerhair easier to work with, and I lose them long before the deerhair becomes compromised and sinks :crying:

I beleave either is fine, the main differance to my knowledge would be the black hair tips that is on the elk hair.

post-3271-1145882879_thumb.jpg

I use the Elk hair. Plus when you have all kinds of it (won an ebay auction) it doesn't matter if you mess up a little. I do find mine float better with the elk hair

Fatman

What I have on hand isn't a problem here either since I have a taxidermist on speed dial. I think I have more than enough elk hair to build my own elk. Deer too. I have read somewhere that a certain part of the elk hair is more suitable for the caddis. I just can't remember where I read it. Damn CRS.:help:

Mike

I think the original calls for Elk hair taken from the lower legs (Elk Hock" because that hair is very small and has very nice tips. Last I saw you can buy Elk Hock. Regular body hair is longer and more coarse so it will flare more.

I like to tie small elk hair caddis, so I use comparadun hair. I haven't found any elk hair thin (small) enough that I am comfortable with. The shop where I purchase my materials at stock various colors of the comparadun.

Mike,

Al Troth's Elk Hair Caddis is tied with, you guessed it, elk hair dor the wing. Here is a picture I took of an EHC tied by Al.

IPB Image

My CDC&Elk has always had a deer hair wing (don't ask, long story B) )

Looks like this:

IPB Image

Cheers,

Hans W

Hi Hans. I think you and I actually talked about the deer hair when I was taking you to fish the North Fork of the White when you were here. I can't remember what the reason was but we did talk about it. I'm slowly getting back in the tying mode so hopefully before long I'll be getting the soft hackles to you that I owe you. :help:

Mike