Fly Tying
cutthroat.trout

Looking for a replacement for dumbell eyes...

Well pretty much sums it up in the title...

I'm finding I use lots of lead dumbell eyes, and I'm looking for ideas on cheap alternatives, or making my own.

I have a sack of Tungsten BB's that I'm thinking about using somehow.

Any ideas?

--cutthroat.trout

For the small ones, I use two beads from a light pull chain - couple of bucks in the hardware store and you get plenty. They aren't all that heavy though, and they will tarnish. I add a little lead wire behind them - maybe two turns. The I use the Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails clear polish - works pretty good, but only for small wooly buggers and some small clousers that I tie.

dc

Ive been on this search for a while now it you find something please let me know

How about taking a piece of mono, the strongest test you can get through your beads, slide 2 of them onto the mono, then melt or knot the ends of mono so the beads don't slide off.

Basically the same thing as making mono eyes except when you put the tungsten beads onto the mono, try making the smaller holes in the beads facing each other so the larger holes are to the outside. That way the melted end of the mono will sit flush inside the bead or just stick out slightly like a pupil.

I would like to see some pictures if you get satisfactory results :)

I've never tried it, just thought of it after seeing your post.

Good Luck,

Chip

How about taking a piece of mono, the strongest test you can get through your beads, slide 2 of them onto the mono, then melt or knot the ends of mono so the beads don't slide off.

That's a great idea Frank, and I tried that once, and it works great, it's easy, but still not real cheap.

If I used craft beads that were sufficient in weight, then it would be cheap, but the made for fly tying beads are pretty spendy too. At least to me.

I think I'm going to try using my tungsten BB's (they're shotgun shell BB's) melted into the ends of some small tubing, or maybe some tubular braided nylon from the craft store, like a small slinky sinker for steelhead fishing. I'd think we could find some neon colors or even metallics or irridescent in that stuff.

That should be real heavy, actually heavier than lead. And non-toxic, not that I subscribe to the issues some do with lead fishing tackle/flies etc.

Also if I use the right kind of tubing, should I whack the fly into my rod tip, I'd think it would be a rather good soft guard against rod tip breakage.

--cutthroat.trout

how about some solid core solder cut into appropriate lengths and then melt the ends into balls. Not sure how easy it would be to melt up the ends but it sure would be cheap to make a lot.

how about some solid core solder cut into appropriate lengths and then melt the ends into balls. Not sure how easy it would be to melt up the ends but it sure would be cheap to make a lot.

That's a great idea! I think it would work. I don't have any solder that large, but I'll see if I can get some early next week, otherwise, if anyone else gets a chance to try it, please post results.

Thanks for the good idea fish!

(I'm still gonna try the tubing and BB thing, mostly because I like the idea of a plastic tubing or nylon coated set of eyes for keeping my rod in one piece.)

--cutthroat.trout

Well, I finally got around to making some dumbell eyes with flexible plastic tubing and

shot. Tungsten in my case, lead would work just fine too, as would large diameter solder wire cut to length.

Here's a pic of how it turned out.

post-4730-1148013117_thumb.jpg

I have yet to fish it, but I see no reason for it to be different than dumbell eyes. What I like about these is like I mentioned before, they are soft, and will not damage your rod if you should screw up and whack the fly on your fly rod.

Also, since you can get plastic tubing in colors, I happened to have blue, there is no painting, and therefore no paint to chip off.

All I did was cut the tubing to length, same as a dumbell lead eye, and pushed the shot pellets into the tube, until they were flush or just slightly past flush, and touched the shot pellets to a little super glue.

--cutthroat.trout

I've been using the largest brass bead-chain I can find then dipping it in a bottle of gun-blue to get black eyes.

It will flip a size 4 mustad stinger hook wrong-ways up which is all I need.

Hmm, the flexible plastic tubing got me thinking that maybe using heat-shrink tubing might work well too. It comes in a variety of sizes, is easy to work with, and is readily available.

Has anyone every tried it?

Castaway

I thought you were going to be SOL on figuring out a way to turn BBs into barbell eyes that wouldn't split in two when you were tying them in... but by jove, I think you've done it!

Really great thinking on your part, and I think those look better/will work better than a traditional dumbell eye. Bravo!

You could seriously package those up and sell 'em.

Hey all, thanks for the positive sentiments on my idea for dumbell eye replacements.

I'd really think some transparent yellow or red, or opaque fluorescent colors would make for some pretty sweet looking eyes, and it's easy to do. I insert the shot pellets with the pliers that I use to flatten hook barbs.

These particular shot pellets were #6, and that's rather small. There's all the way up to BB (.177 dia.)

That would be nice and heavy. Another alternative that would look real sharp is chrome plated ball bearings.

Madkasel, I suppose you're right, if the dumbell eyes we all buy are a viable product, I suppose these would be as well, and to me, these are a little more desirable.

On a side note, last night after dark with my new 8 weight, wading from shore, I caught a smallie, a walleye, two crappies, and two bluegills. Set them all free except for one bluegill and the two crappies. Caught them all on one fly. An olive gold bead head crystal bugger. Had a blast.

--cutthroat.trout

I ordered stainless steel bead chain from JS a few months ago and they are working out fine for my clousers.

Dave

.177?

Go to the local sports store and get the copper coated bb's for a bb gun. A little flash in the eyes.