Fly Tying
Sturgeon_Catcher

Poachers on the Farmington River, Ct.

An intro to this post.

Still on my fishing quest and have finally reached my brothers's house in Ct.

Plan to chase brown trout on Farminton River in Central or so Connecticut. Have book on river and extensive map capabilities. 3 Day reservation to camp on this river June 6, 7, 8. Speaking to guide on Sunday.

Did a physical reconnaisance of the Farmington River with my Sister in Law 6/01 3 hours in am.

Goal: water clarity, depth, temperature, just get a feel for the river as have never seen this body of water. Sure looks cool though and anxious to fish it.

Read the sign above the path to the fishing hole. Obviously in the management area as sign states opening day to sept (I think) something 2 fish with a minimum length of 12". Another sign showing difference between salmon and brown trout. Info sign for me because fish catch and release.

Approach the river and an older fellow fishing with a Mitchell 300. My favorite spinning reel have 3 of them in the motor home and my brother has a broken piece of junk I may have. Too cool.

The man is using my fishing reel. (For peoples unfamiliar with this reel - open faced spinning reel about 30-40 years old, made in france, interchangeable spools, etc.. etc. sold a million and I collect and use them). He's got my reel so we can talk.

Asked him how he like the reel. o.k. how was fishing? caught two not sure what one is though?? Do you mind if I look? No not at all. Oh, I say they are both browns.

What was he using I ask? Spinner and worm. Cool. Did he know how to fish for salmon and steelhead like they did out west?? A very effective way to catch fish in this environment - tackle reel etc. If he would like be happy to explain. Sure go ahead. Explained the method and he replied too many big rocks to do that. Lose a spinner every time. The conversation just went cold.

Thought well Fred you've said too much or should not have intruded. What ever. Checked out the water temp -- start with the neoprenes if cloudy and sunny try polar grade wicking long underwear and the breathables.

Water a little murky been raining quite a bit.

Turned to sister in law and asked. Do you remember that sign? Did it say over 12"? I don't know she says. Me too I say and go back to the sign. Yep over 12"

One fish - the confusing one was one 6.5" long and the other about 10.75" max. Stringer through ring after passing through gills and mouth and smaller fish just threaded on the stringer. Pointed end stuck in mud. Standard way of stringing fish in water.

Why me people? Why do I have to be the one to see this man?????????????

What to do???? What to do??????

History.

My brother is a post master with 30 year career in post offices in this area. At minimum who knows how many people would recognize in postal system.

Can I - Do I - Dare I - take the chance of embarrassing my brother over a poacher in a strange city, with total strangers, knowing there is an organization, laws, ethics, that say this man should be turned in.

While a guest in his house. REMEMBER.

I wrote the license plate numbers of two cars one connecticut, the other California (only two cars in parking lot and busy street - no other parking possible). The man was dressed and acted and carried himself as the local. Only two cars and likely almost positively his is the ct. car.

Coffee stand - trailer vendor on side of road in this parking lot.

Does she work this spot a long time. Yes. Is this your river? She looked at me a little questioningly. I replied do you like this river? Is it important if there is a man poaching right over there? Sure does ought to turn him in you should she replies. State police or game warden? Game Warden. 1 man work this stretch?? Yep. O.k. she has no phone. Bought a water told her I would see her later and left. Yes, I have complete cellular communication in phone and laptop.

Asked the sister in law? Why me? Why do I have to be the one to see these things?? Let it go Fred. Can you talk to brother? Yes. Let's call him. No I am not going to call him. What to do? What to do?

Going fishing.

Gotta hit a tackle shop.

Wouldn't you?

Go to the fly shop. Say, came to fish your river ta da ta ta. Just saw this fellow. .........what to do....... Like running a red light. No big deal. Happens all the time. Game warden probably won't even respond. Wouldn't even bother. Just waste your time.

ok its your river. I am a stranger to your town. I shall be here for 1 week to fish about three days and I am off to Maine. You people can manage your river however you want.

Fly shop owner I am speaking to here peoples. There were only 3 shops in the area and I hit them all. Did not mention the incident to the last shop owner but did in fact get almost the verbatim response from the second crew. Only stating that there were few locations for supplies and this was in the heart of the catch and release with parking on side of building and walking path to published fishing hole from parking lot. Only two shops on river and booking with the third shop located in another town not near the river. Shopping mall environment.

Waited until my brother came home and spoke of the incident to him to find that probably right and not any real big thing. Known that this happens all the time and the sale of licenses promotes the maintainenance of fish restocking as fees entered into general fund. Can the perspective not be seen that I left my Redington Surf jacket in the compartment of the guide boat at cape Hatteras. I have just spent 60 dollars for a jacket and my new 684 dollar two pair of glass didn't let me see a large fish working the water not twenty feet in front of me. As the young fellow across the river points out. I spent another 20 for a pair of overglasses polarized for my transitional glasses as the sun glasses I'm thinking are in fact too dark.

We fly fisherman will spend 100 bucks a day on a trip or more and won't even keep their fish. The more money is with the fly fisherman not that ......head who is keeping those fish. It is economics if nothing else?

Not the way it is seen was the conclusion of communication.

I shall at this point respect his privacy. I told my sister in law as she said again just let it go Fred. I'll try but it will bother me. And that is not good. It's like getting mad and having no vent. Not good habit to maintain especially me. It will bother me though. I know she replies. She is earnest and understands my quandry. She is not paying me lip service. Her suggestion is to let it go and do try not to be upset. You cannot save the world.

Is it so simple. Save people in nursing profession and differentiate on other elements and say this is not important enough of my energies. Better to focus on a war that can be won. Remember peoples I am a disabled Viet Nam veteran with PTSD. What a profound statement to say to me.

What to do????? What to do???????

Anxious and curious and am thinking this could be a good thread. Again I say to you.

What to do??????????? What to do????????

What say you peoples??????????

later

Fred

An interesting situation/question, to say the least.

The law is the law, but if the law is not enforced it's no longer a law. For me, it becomes a question of whose responsibility is it to enforce the law or make sure it is enforced. If you call the game warden would he act on it? Who knows. I suspect not, unless he was pretty much guaranteed to catch the guy in the act because otherwise it would probably end up being your word against the poacher's and with no proof he can't do anything about it.

I have been in situations like this before, where someone, out of ignorance or even willingly, has violated creel or fish size limits openly. Most of the time I have tried to find a tactful way of asking the person if they know they are breaking the law. Funny thing is, most of them knew they were breaking the law and didn't care. A common response is "It's not illegal if you don't get caught." If that is the case, I usually just smile and walk away, which helps keep me out of fist fights but doesn't do a lot for my disgust at the person's blatant disregard for the law.

In the rare instances where someone didn't know they were breaking the law, I have tried to help the person correct their mistake if they are willing to do so. Most of the time they quickly adopt the same "If I get away with it, it's ok" attitude referenced above.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people can be so inconsiderate of others and the laws that govern our society.

Good thread, Fred.

Thanks TerryLee

A few pics

IPB Image

Good looking water and anxious to fish it.

IPB Image

Cool little guy. Have this thing about rocks.

IPB Image

Am I seeking counsel?? You bet - operative word here is

What to do??????

Fishing report to follow in few days. Intend to fish it for at least 3 days and pursuing lessons on casting heavy dumbell flies from local Orvis guide as well to show me how and where to catch the larger (I say BIG) Browns. Waiting for a call....

later

Fred

I say we let that CT. fellow hot tuna take care of 'em. ;)

But all kidding aside that is a tough one. I guess the best thing you could've done would've been asking him if he knew the regulation. If he honestly didn't, you could explain it to him and fix the problem. If he did know the reg. he now knows that someone is watching him poach. that's what I would've done. He probably would've just dismissed it though.

~Bryce

You are absolutely right Bryce...you would have been proud of me when I walked over to a kid in Church Pool of the Farmington a while back and snipped his line after he had played the fish to certain death in an absolute catch and release area...

PS I'm 6 ft 215lbs and somewhat psychotic looking!!!

Fred...didn't mean to gloss over on you..Bryce and I are buddies in here. Be prepared to be patient when fishing our TMAs....most of the time I don't even fish them on the weekend since they are so crowded.

If you think keeping an undersized dink is bad what until some guy jumps into your pool and stands twenty feet away from you...be ready. That being said there are places where you can find some solitude.

Who did you get for your guide? You were in the lower TMA Collinsvile/Unionville stretch...that was a real nice picture...that second picture was the island above the old Indian reservation another excellent spot.

It's pretty easy wading above the island but those big pools of the first picture are dangerous...be careful!

John

Nobody can tell you what to do. It's a personal choice that you and you alone have to make.

I know for me it's not even worth my time to report anyone if it's not a felony.

Wow. You are to be commended for caring so deeply about it.

I think that the uniform "no big deal" response you got from the fly shops are tacit permission to let it go, though.

Every "keeper" you catch and let go is a yin to the yang of the a-holes who break the law.

Connecticut TIP Hotline (Turn In Poachers)

1-800-842-4357

Dont be afraid to use it!

Fred,

Seems like you found yourself right smack dab in the middle of a moral dilemma. Been there a time or two myself as have many on this board. After thinking about this situation for a couple of days I'd offer several thoughts.

First, I love the purity of the scenery and the fishing when I am on the stream. It speaks to something deep within me. I truly appreciate the times I can get out on my local trout streams and fish/think or think/fish. 25 years ago I might have said something to a poacher with regards to keeping illegal fish. I wouldn't do that today. To me, it seems some people need little provocation to pull out a gun and shoot you. I'm sure there are those who think this is a bit sensational ... but a few earlier posts indicated that one person would "accidently" hook the poacher, and in another instance one fellow actually cut someone's line that was playing a fish too long. Hooking someone and cutting the line of someone playing a fish ( now it could be that both of the posters were joking in good humor; if so, my apologies) seem a long way from the virtue of sportmanship. I mean, if someone from a forum of this caliber would do those things, what might someone less enlightened do?

Secondly, I think of perspective. After all, it's fish we are talking about. I believe in conservation and preservation (no, I'm not a member of any of those clubs) but I practice both when fishing. I have never kept a trout to eat, and I do not fight a fish to it's death when playing it. I practice 'leave no trace' when fishing because that's a personal conviction. I have at times picked up trash on the creeks and rivers but probably not as much as I should. My perspective simply reminds me that what I'm trying to do is catch a fish that I'm going to turn loose anyway. The times on the river when I have gotten most upset were the times someone rudely comes thrashing through a run I'm about the fish, or jumps ahead of me by 30 feet, or is loud on the water, or comes right in on top of me. My frustration, bottom line, is more selfish than anything ---- I want to catch these fish, I was here first, go find your own hole, leave me alone, etc... For what, catching fish I'm going to release anyway. It does not bother me one bit if someone wants to keep some fish to eat (after all, their license allows them to do so -- legal fish, that is) but I have never kept any because I want to put the resource back. Why? So the stream will still have some fish for me to catch in the months to come.

Thirdly, there's a great need for more game wardens if poaching is going to diminish. From your post it seems that apathy had set in among the shop owners and the Warden himself. Perhaps the warden is so busy with other poachers that he can't be two places at once. This whole thought (or response) might seem inappropriate but unless we provide more $ through our license fees, chances are there won't be more game wardens keeping people honest. And as long as people can get away with breaking the law they will; it is inherent in our nature to do so.

Would I have done anything different from you? I doubt it. I'd like to think I would do something noble (someone posted the poaching hotline #; that would be a good start) but in all honesty I'd just have to play it by ear. Apologies to anyone I have offended -- my only intent was to use the aforementioned examples as simply that .... examples. Nothing personal. I like to fish and am passionate about fishing. But fishing is not the most important thing in the world for me. This past weekend, one of the DH streams I fish got pounded yesterday and today and I guarantee you people poached as this was the first weekend for harvest. As poorly as that sits with me, I know there will be more fish stocked in a couple of weeks. Small consolation, but consolation nonetheless.

Good luck with the remainder of your fishing quest, Fred. I've enjoyed getting to know you these past 6 weeks. Hopefully as you head South from Maine we can fish the Tennessee Tailraces. Do what YOU gott'a do when it comes to a poacher. I guess that's all any of us can do.

Kerusso

I agree with TerryLee, the law is the law. If you were the only one to see a man steal a bottle of booze from the grocery store, would you speak up? In another perspective, that man 'stole' those fish from you, and many other law abiding citizens that are sure to fish those waters after you.....those were YOUR fish. When you can understand this perspective, your answer may become clearer...what to do?

Kerusso....that was a very thoughtful post...I can assure you there was more to my little snippet of a story..and I will not burden everyone else here by explaining myself to you.

Hot Tuna

<_< All I can say is that my NYS auto license always draws a warden on some streams in PA. It usually never fails when fishing French Creek in PA, I hear someone coming down the bank and it's the same guy time after time. In PA you have to wear your license on your back. :P

I decided what to do.

Dropped a dime on the man. Tried the toll free and apparently out of state cell phone no go. Got the phone book and finally reached a state police man.

Explained about the gentleman. The policeman immediately replies. Well the next time call it in right away. Couldn't believe it. Gonna see what else is going on here.

Told the man about the coffee lady and the tackle shops. Told him of anticipated apathy. Quickly he states - what is the registration number? Gave him the number and the description of the vehicle. He asks - "what town was this in?" Haven't got a clue. Does he know the river. Nope. Well, without the name of the town where incident occured can do nothing. Would not refer me to someone else nor would he offer anything except if I see the man again ---- why call this same number and we will take care of it.

Just finished the call and need to think on this a little. Incident happened on Friday and this is Monday. Have a number of thoughts but think I better hash them around a little before posting my conclusions.

My first reaction is "I told you so." Not sure who said that but feels like somebody did.

Second reaction is that there is no time frame here. A little visit would do wonders for this man even if there was no evidence. I know what he looks like. Drop a dime - take a picture. Same thing. Showed me a drivers license picture could easily identify the man.

Later

Fred