Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
finhunter

Anyone seen the Action Disk?

Hey all!

I was reading an article in Salmon Trout Steelheader and it was about a Wiggle Bugger.

It seems this company ( Which I have no affiliation with) has an Action Disk that goes

in front of the fly and makes it have a wiggle action. Has anyone here used this thing?

It can be aquired at: Wigglefin.com

It shows a demo of it. I wonder how it would work with a Double Bunny or other Streamers?

FH

There is another contraption that has been out a couple of years that does the same thing. The problem I have is they seem like a real pain to cast. :dunno:

I've got some "lips" that came with a brittish fly mag I pick up (Fly Fishing and Fly Tying). They'll call them "wobblers"

The article mentions that the inventor made his own by cutting them from pop-bottles but now offers them commercially. I thought they'd be great on any weighted fly buy I haven't tried them yet.

http://www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk/tutorial10.php

http://cnb-host1.clickandbuild.com/cnb/sho...dCategoryID=276

Good Day,

This reminded me of a "tool" I have on my desk for making lips for streamers or floating flys. I was trying to create a "rapala" like fly and a guy over heard me talking about it at the local fly shop. Well, a couple weeks later I go back and the shop owner says "Oh by the way I have something for you." This guy made me this jig. Real cool! Just heat up some thin plastic, like from a milk jug, and press. Voila, instant lip! Good curve too. Makes those flies wiggle...

post-295-1149610382_thumb.jpg

Steelie

Hi finhunter,

Gretchen & I wrote the piece on the Wiggle Bugger for STS. Yes, the action disc works just fine with streamers, bunny flies, etc. They come in several sizes. I use the smaller one for my trout flies. I have several friends who use them in front of a fly that they troll on down-riggers for lake trout but I've not done that myself, just tied the flies for them. BTW, I'm not affiliated with the company, just a happy customer.

Will is right, they are a pain in the neck to cast but no worse than throwing a #2 popper on a 6 or 7 weight rod. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Hey Al,

My Bad! I didn't even think to look at the author of the article. Now looking back at it, I see that!

I am bad about checking the author of magazine articles, I just get into the subject at hand and get to the next article that is of interest to me. I tried to order a package of those small ones, but their CC processing was coming back with errors, so I didn't get to complete the order. I emailed them about it, but havn't heard back from them.

FH :rolleyes:

yeah i saw those in "in fisherman magazine". i dont know how good that would work with a fly...it might whip it around to much, since the fly is so light?