Fly Tying
sniksoh

i have a question for all the hunters out there...

LIke most have said as far as fit a stock modification will make most guns fit. I know others have advised single shots for safety but I'll assume you are safe as you graduated hunte saftey. That being said if you get a semi-auto some of the recoil is used up to eject the spent casing. My 1st shot gun was a remington model 11 16gauge and it was/is a fun gun to shoot took my 1st pheasant rabbit and deer with it. But as suggested the remington 870 is hard to beat and the 20 youth models will fit likely out of the box. I am somewhat a traditionallist as in use the gun for a lifetime and you will outgrow a youth model quickly unless you buy a longer stock.

Best rabbit gun I ever owned was my first single shot 20. You can get them anywhere for under a hundred bucks. It''l teach you to make that one shot count. Starting with a 20 as a first gun can help prevent you from developeing a flinch or shell-shock. When you're ready for another, try some gun shows. For the price of a new higher end gun, or even cheaper, you can usually pick up an old classic "heirloom" in top shape.

me an my dad were looking at guns the other day and we found one but we dont know if we are gonna get it yet...it was a mossburg(dont know about spelling)adult 20 guage with bird shot/slug combo for around $330...now all we need is permission from the mother...lol...she knows nothing about hunting at all...she said i should take my bb gun for this years pheasant season...that is pretty much impossible...lol

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: A bb gun!!!!! :hyst: :hyst: Hope your a pretty good shot with that thing, and hope its a powerful one at that, you might as well shoot spit balls at em outta a straw, or throw rocks at them :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

:hyst: I know the feeling bro, You can always cut grass!! :D

hey thats what i did to buy my car ( a 1995 SL1 Saturn)

i mow one lawn for $10 an hour and it takes me 7-8 hours :D

and i have 3 more at $30 dollars a time but we have BIG lawns up here compared to some of you city boys

i also own a bait shop and work part time for a construction company

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: A bb gun!!!!! :hyst: :hyst: Hope your a pretty good shot with that thing, and hope its a powerful one at that, you might as well shoot spit balls at em outta a straw, or throw rocks at them :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

hey youd be suprised what you can take down with one of those :P :P

me an my dad were looking at guns the other day and we found one but we dont know if we are gonna get it yet...it was a mossburg(dont know about spelling)adult 20 guage with bird shot/slug combo for around $330...now all we need is permission from the mother...lol...she knows nothing about hunting at all...she said i should take my bb gun for this years pheasant season...that is pretty much impossible...lol

My 12 guage is a Mossberg 500. I've been very happy with it. Where I hunt used to have a "shotgun only" rule for opening weekend, but they've lifted that so I may try to pick up a rifle... they're smaller and pack as much or more punch.

nothing wrong with a 20 gauge. i have both a 12 and 20 and more often than not, i take the 20 for upland game (it's lighter and just more fun).

i know this is down the road for you but, if you're serious about hunting, you'll soon realize that you'll have multiple guns for multiple situations (just like fly fishing). (once you get a job of course)

if recoil is a concern, get an autoloader as some of the recoil will be dispersed in the action mechanism.

remington makes a great shotgun for a reasonable price. Ithaca does too, but currently, i believe they only make a 12 gauge pump.

look at used guns and get one that fits.

you'll do yourself a huge favor if you get a gun you are comfortable with and does not kick your shoulder off. you'll be less apt to flinch and will enjoy shooting a lot more, thereby improving your marksmanship.

hope this helps

I used to sell guns for a living and first and foremost the thing to consider is to get a shotgun that "FITS YOU" by getting measured for LOP (length of pull) first. After that determination get something to fit accordingly OR get the stock cut/shimmed to your size. I've seen many people buy a shotgun thinking their kid will "grow into it" which is not the case at all because that compromises all comfort and a great experience when things don't fit right.

I personally like and use 20ga and 28ga SxS for hunting.