Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SuperRich

Whats a rotary vice for

I wanted to know what a rotary vice is for. I also wanted to know if its needed for tying simple trout, bass, and bluegill flys, and what how much does a lower grade rotary vice costs.

Thanks

a rotary vise is generally used for wrapping various materials like lead, chenille, dubbing, hackle, etc. The vise rotates so your hands dont have to :dunno: if that makes sense.

Its mainly a preference thing. It makes it easier and faster to tye flies but it will cost you more. It helps a lot but it takes practice to use well. Personally i have a rotary vise but i dont use that feature much. you can find a rotaray vise probably for 50 $ and up. But watch what you buy.

Its up to you

I also do not use the rotary feature to apply materials to the hook very often however, I use the rotary constantly while tying a fly. Inspect the back side and bottom, rotate the hook 90 degrees to apply thread wraps close to the hook point, when finished I really like the rotary to apply head cement.

Regards,

Fred Krow

After many years of tying stationary, I find the rotary feature good for one thing- application to the bottom of the shank. Skills you develop for top of shank can be easily used on bottom. But some of these modern vises are much too complex and get in the way, dwarfing the smaller

hooks. Having taught, I'd rather see beginners use basic equipment.

'Course, I'd rather they tied without a bobbin first, too....

If you are just learning, I would go with a plain non-rotary vice. Learn how to tie on that first. In response to your question, the rotary is great for wrapping pretty well any body material, hackle, etc. Second, it is absolutely great for tying inverted flies, I have a very complex dragonfly nymph that I couldn't do without the rotary (little bastard takes about 1 1/2 hours to tie one fly). Lastely, I find the best aspect of the rotary is really being able to critique your fly as you go along. I tied for close to 15 years without a rotary I never had any complaints, added bonus is by that time you know a lot of the tricks and rotary becomes that much more useful and is worth the money spending on a good one.

Im not new to tying, I tied a little bit last year and winter came and I didnt fish too much, so I stoped. I am getting back into it as the water levels start to drop. Not trying to brag, but I am a little bit more advanced than most other people I tie with. I was just thinknig about upgrading all my equipment also. But thanks for all the posts and info every one.

Thanks

Rich

I am still very attached to the vise that came with my Cabelas kit...it has held more flies than I could dream to count! I have bought a 'better' vise, and I enjoy it very much, however I've yet to find a vise I like better than my cabelas.....

If you are going to upgrade to rotary then I definitely agree with OLB. Go with the Danvise. IMHO the Danvise and tying station Al Beaty sells is hard to beat. I started out with the super AA vise then a Dyna-king. I tried the Danvise and since then I will never use anything but that vise...

Todd :D