Fly Tying
colbyjack

outdoor scenery today

I thought we had a large set of flats to walk here on the Merrimac. Looking at Joe's pictures are very humbling that is a lot of mud. And you also have the fastest tides in world don't you??

Wow tcr you are still catching nice fish. That's awesome, fishing season is closed here but we are having some beautiful weather. Here are a couple of pictures from a couple days ago. The river I fish, here it is in town and a couple minutes walk, from where I live. You can still see green grass on the bank.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Here is an old stump I saw a few weeks ago. We have had some snow, that melted, and it has caused the fungi to die off. I wanted to get a picture of this, as all the fungi, now wilted had some incredible shapes.

IPB Image

Here is a picture that is of Wolfville Harbour. the harbour is no longer used. In the distance you can see The Minas Basin, and the mouth of the same river in the other pics.

IPB Image

I have not heard anyone complain about the weather yet, its nice but, I think we could be in for some major snowfall yet.

I thought we had a large set of flats to walk here on the Merrimac. Looking at Joe's pictures are very humbling that is a lot of mud. And you also have the fastest tides in world don't you??

We have the highest and lowest tides. I am not sure off hand of the height but know that some areas drop out over 2.5 miles. I went to a seminar about the mudflats of the area. They had a formula that over a 24 hour tide cycle there was more volume of water moving here , than the outflow of every river along the eastern seaboard combined. The province of Nova Scotia actually bends slightly with the pressure of the high tide, that occurs here. I am working on a website, and part of the website will be about the tides, mudflats, bloodworms etc. It should be ready by the end of the month. I will post the link soon.

Here is a couple pictures I took while I was testing out a few flies. We are having an open winter, the first pic is of some marsh hay that should be laying down and covered in snow. The second is where a brook and the river I fish meet, with a dead fall caught in it. I like to test flies here as I have to option of the calm brook and the current of the river. The third is where I think the dead fall came from.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

As you can see no snow. I have lived here for about 20 years and have seen January thaws but never a winter so warm, and with sunny days.

Here is a picture of a some type of waterfowl, eating what looked to be a small trout. I dont imagine you will be able to see the fish in the birds mouth, let alone the bird. Man I wish I had a better zoom. I stood and watched several birds, some flew away as they saw me, but this bird was acting very aggressive, and did not see me. So I stood and watched. It looked like a loon but had long wispy feathers coming off the back of its head, Cormorant maybe :dunno: The last photo is a green patch and surroundings in the tall grass. It was nice to get by the river. I saw several pheasants and could hear there calls in the woods. Watching that bird feeding and succeeding was a real treat.

Now i see the bird :D .

Green gras on the bank.same situation in Denmark.

Last week in Tempelkrogen,Isefjordpost-4230-1168687007_thumb.jpg

but dont you think the snow wil come soon

chers Tcr

I spoke too soon about the snow, here is the same dead fall, but at high tide. It was a slack tide and only slowed the river to just about a stand still.

IPB Image

This is the same run where the bird was feeding. It is from a different position on the river, (looking down). The sun although cloud covered was facing at me. i tried adjusting the light selector on my camera. the picture is a bit dark but the best of the lot. As you can see the river is cleared, but running slow due to the tide. Both pictures were taken yesterday.

IPB Image

This is what it looks like in town today, another storm, not too bad, but I hear more is on the way

IPB Image

IPB Image

The town makes piles of snow, then comes along and puts it in a dump truck. From about midnight to six am, lovely. This is what I have been waiting for, to scout some of the new streams I have mentioned. It will be a hard go through the snow but, I like the adventure.

Nice pics. Looks like ol man winter finally arrived. It's been below freezing here for the past few nights, very unusual for SoCal.

I really like the look of the trout stream, and the snow of the tree looks cool, ok, it looks cold, real cold... thanks for sharing Daryn.

Graham

Thanks Graham its pictures like yours, and Will for sharing the photo hobby, that has my interest. Just like anything else on this site, I try to learn and make do with what I got if I can.

So do you think its Global Warming or Elminia (Sp.) Or just that the world is taking care of its self?

Here are a few pics I took yesterday. I was haiving a lot of fun. We got a big ice storm the past couple days here in upstate NY. Ice is sweet :lol: Still haven't got any snow that has stuck yet. Anyways, heres some pics of the ice storm

Although some trees couldn't take the pressure, many others like these took it like men :lol: THese trees were a good 8"-10" in diameter

IPB Image

Remember when I said we haven't got any snow yet. This is all ice from this storm on the ground covering up a broken pine branch

IPB Image

Heres another pic of the same branch

IPB Image

A leaf

IPB Image

a stick

IPB Image

The night time pics were tough, but I think they atleast give you an idea how slow I had to drive to work yesterday :lol: I only wish I would have taken more. Now I am always going to carry my camera with me wherever I go.

Hey Daryn, maybe it's just a late winter, and spring will be cold and snowy? Seems to me global temps have never been fixed, instead constantly cycling between warmer and colder, with some centuries being more active than others.

Nice pics Alex. Looks cold. I know what you mean about keeping a camera readily available at all times. You never know what you might get. I know a guy locally that was taking pics of a burning building, and a lady dropped her baby for a firefighter to catch, and he got a shot of the baby landing in the arms of the firefighter. He sold that pic for $50k.

Colbyjack, I grew up on the rock river. what a great fishery. I just took a job back in my hometown and the river was a huge influance on my decision to take the job. (fishin befor work.)