Fly Tying
TerryLee

Critique Please

Thanks guys for all of the feedback. I appreciate all of it and will use the tips you gave on the next batch. You guys rock!!!

I've only been doing this for about a year now, so it's nice to hear some positive in there.

Oh, I didn't get to try the fly today. It was too hot. Planning on hitting the water tomorrow morning.

Thanks again,

Terry

Terry, I think it your fly looks fine and will certainly catch fish! Try trimming one so that it there is a distinction between the head and the collar. About the best way I can describe it would be to trim it like the front of a car. The head would be the hood of the car and the collar would be the windshield. They seem to create a bit more disturbance in the water and will "pop" as it dives.

Good work, be sure to keep us posted on what you catch with it!

it looks great, just work on trimming it a bit better, so the head and collar are more defined as a few people have already stated. but that guy who said your stuff sucks must be blind

Terry, that's a neat looking fly! Take it for a swim and let the fish have a look see. Just keep tying and trying and you 'll gain more confidence, and just ignore that knuckle head in town, he probably cann't make crap any how! Good job keep it up. :coffee:

Hi Terry,

Great looking fly. You have absolutely nothing to hang your head regarding that pattern. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Thats a great looking tie Terry B) The other guys offered a bit of advice on how to make it even better, but I guarantee the way it is now will catch just as many fish. Nice work.

I remember your first flies you posted not all that long ago......theres a HUGE difference in what you started out tying and the look of your flies now, keep up the good work :yahoo:

Far as the negitivity of your "friend"- Some guys are like that, its a lack of self confidence on their part. If they see something that is just as good (or better) than their own (insert item here____) then they feel threatend and automaticlly have to try to downplay it to make themselves feel better. Don't even bother with guys like that, they will only hold you back on your own personal tying progress.

Keep up the good work!

Steve

all excellent points. also i remember reading somewhere that fish seem to take more "buggy" or rough looking flies. so your fly may take bigger and more fish than one with a perfectly shaped body/collar etc

What a peice of crap, that other guy is. That is a darned god fly Terry. That other feller must just be jelous of your talent. Keep up the good work.

Try trimming one so that it there is a distinction between the head and the collar. About the best way I can describe it would be to trim it like the front of a car. The head would be the hood of the car and the collar would be the windshield. They seem to create a bit more disturbance in the water and will "pop" as it dives.

Will, that sounds great but I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing it. Do you have a picture of one you could post?

Take it for a swim and let the fish have a look see.
I did just that today and here's what happened. They say the proof is in the pudding, well how about this flavor B) ? He ain't big, but he'll do. I had two others bite, but I missed them. post-3600-1154401376_thumb.jpg

I remember your first flies you posted not all that long ago......theres a HUGE difference in what you started out tying and the look of your flies now, keep up the good work :yahoo:
I hope you didn't remember the older ones for the unintentded comedy factor they probably had :hyst: :hyst: . Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks to everybody who has replied to this thread for your kind words and helpful tips.

Terry