Fly Tying
Mattdiy

Help I'm A Beginner!!

I would say if you don't want to outlay a bunch of cash right off the bat being a beginner and all, I would go to Wal-Mart and buy their fly fishing starter kit. Scientific Anglers makes it. It comes with a decent rod, reel, backing, fly line, tippet, maybe a video, and some other stuff. Less than $100 for all that and you can see if you enjoy it.

Another good thing about going inexpensive on your starter rod and reel is that it will really tick you off if you spend 3-500 bucks on a nice flyrod and bust the tip off.

I would definitely recommend inexpensive to start off with.

Buy a custom rod from Steeldrifter, they are simply unmatched, and the prices cant be beat, go to TFF, and click on the midwest custom fly rods and take a look, it will be at the top of the screen or just send steeldrifter a pm and tell him what you want, he is great to deal with and will help you alot!!!! I use one of his rods now, and will get the rest from him!!!!! :headbang: :headbang:

with all due respect, don't do walmart.

all you'll get is junk with no back up support.

if you want a serious answer, you need to tell us where you live, target species, etc. the more info the better.

there is a lot of "budget" equipment out there, but to narrow it down, you'll need to provide the info.

then i recommend you go to a local fly shop (where you can receive help and advice) and practice casting a couple different fly rods. each make is different and only you will be able to tell what feels the best.

good luck

with all due respect, don't do walmart.

The main reason I say that is because of the very likely possibility of going into a fly shop and walking out with more than your spouse budgeted you for. You all know that happens. Heck it still happens today.

I started out with the same Scientific Anglers fly rod I am talking about and I love it and I still use it. If anybody tells you that you can't cast with it or anything like that, my buddy took that rod and cast out over 100 feet with it. Not saying that I could, but many will argue that you can't cast with inexpensive rods and that is just bull butter.

Not trying to tick anybody off here either. :lol: :ph34r:

Im telling you, just tell Steeldrifter what you want, and what you will be using it for and he will take care of the rest, and it will be in your price range I guarentee it!!!!!!!

Im telling you, just tell Steeldrifter what you want, and what you will be using it for and he will take care of the rest, and it will be in your price range I guarentee it!!!!!!!

and you could do that and support FTF members. :D

Man the rod he built me dosn't even compare with my G-Loomis of the same size!!!! and its beautiful, if ya check out his site, its the one with the American Flag on the butt! :headbang:

Pretty nice huh, and the prices cant be beat.

I have been looking for a nice 8wt rod. I'll keep them in mind. Thanks for listing that. Great stuff.

Look at Cabela's Genessis series combos.....I bought one awhile back and love it! Rod, reel, backing, line, tapered leaders, rod case, split shot, strike indicators, forceps, nippers, leader straightner, shoulder bag (fits everything and then some!), and it comes with a small fly box and a generic selection......maybe afew other things too, I can't remember. All this carries a price of about $140, you cant get a variety of rod weights, lengths, and in 2 or 4 pieces.......My little brother will probably be getting one for xmas......

Not trying to discourage you from supporting FTF members (I cant believe that I didn't take advantage of those two that sold in the trading floor!) but for the price of this complete package.....its hard to compete with! MajestyJA has put down his Sage to play with this rod a few times....all compliments, nothing bad to say!

Im just trying to say for less money, you can have a rod that you will never see anyone else having on the stream, and the quality is supurb, Steves craftmanship is great on his rods, and he can put almost anything ya like on it, if you buy a rod out of a store thats what you get, a store bought rod, but with a custom rod you get it the way you want, and he uses top of the line stuff on them as well. Just my opinion.

:jumpy: :eek: :clapping: :smoke: Nice avatar, fly time.... Love the bass on that babe...

OK... I'll admit it... I started out with the cheapest Wal-Mart fly fishing rig from Shakespeare. It served its purpose. I wanted something I could take out, learn a little casting, fish a few times, and see if I even WANTED to fly fish... I didn't have $1500 in my budget to go out and buy a G Loomis rod, Ross reel, expensive line, etc... I just wanted to try fly fishing.

A few months later, after I was "hooked"... no pun intended... I moved up a couple of notches. My last purchase was a hand made rod from a builder in Mt Home, AR on a Dorber ultra-weave blank. Very sweet rod and not an arm and a leg in price... I haven't tried one of SD's rods, but looking at his site and if my best guess is right, they are very sweet rods as well.

But I also agree with jlsmithii... better recommendations could be made with more information.