Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Squeeking belt (Automotive)

I drive an Allymax GMC and for the last couple of weeks it's been quite the embarrassment. This thing's belt (serpentine) has been squeeking like a crate of crickets. I've had it at the dealer once for it, but taking it back is a pain in the ass. I might loose a fishing day bs.gif

Anyway, I talked to my neighbor and asked him if he had some belt dressing. He kinda laughed and said that nobody uses that stuff anymore. (I must be old)

After further examination of the belt, I noticed some glazing on the top and bottom of the belt. A little scoring with a strip of 120 grit silenced that bastard. headbang.gif

WD40 could have done the job too if its glazed up. Some serpentine belts got the habbit

of stretching check belt tension. Happened to me.

Man your neighbor is HIGH! I keep some around but haven't needed it in a long, long time. However I like your idea of ruffing it with the sand paper sounds like a longer lasting fix punk.gif

Jim

I HAVE A FIX FOR IT BUT UNTIL I GET ARRESTED FOR IT YOU WON'T HEAR IT FROM ME ....AND MY AIM ISN'T GETTING ANY BETTER AS I AGE EITHER.....LETS JUST SAY I TAKE A SHORT NAP AFTER APPLICATION!

also, you can put dielectric grease on the belt (just a little dab) and as it goes over the pulleys it will disperse on the pulley and stop squeaking.