Fly Tying
Graham

Iraqi Camel Spider

Last night I finally started tying a fly for FTF member Ashby, who is currently stationed in Iraq. This fly will be my thank you to him for his service and bravery, and hopefully he will be back home safe and sound.

The Iraqi Camel Spider I'm tying is not really a purely realistic fly, instead more of an artistic impressionistic attempt. The most notable feature of these spiders is the massive front pinchers, and I’m tying them to look more like fangs, rather than pinchers that clamp onto prey. Honestly, it was after I started tying the flies head area that I looked for more reference photos on the internet, and realized they are more claw like than fang like.

Anyway, I think the hardest and trickiest tying is behind me now, just need more legs and the rest of the body. This was the first time I have tyed two hooks inline for a single fly, and used two 10 extra long Partridge Carrie Stevens hooks, bent the curved ands apart to use for the mouth fangs. I think its looking pretty cool so far, and will do lots more detail coloring… and will post more pics as it progresess...

post-992-1159812185_thumb.jpg

post-992-1159812200_thumb.jpg

Graham,

You could stop right there and that would be out of control!!!! That thing is going to be one of the greatest realistics ever tied!!! I can not wait to see the end result!! GREAT WORK SO FAR SIR!!! -James D TB7

Looking great so far buddy! Can't wait to see how it progresses forward! It's always great to see you back at the vise :)

Ulf

Thanks Guys, I'll post more pics, and show how I'm doing the legs. Will probably have time tomorrow night to tye....

Hey Rustyspinner,

I've shown many pics which include my beat up vise, and you are the first to mention it. For about five years my vise would lock up after the hook was in, so, when I needed to take the fly out, I had to strike the vise with a heavy pair of pliers, and the jaws would pop open. I met a guy last last year who had the same problem with his Dyna King, and all I needed was a new collet. I replaced the collet and it's been working fine ever since. I can think of a couple of time consuming flies that got ruined when I struck the vise, late at night, after a drink or five, and also hit the fly. lol.. Many times I thought about sending the vise in for service, but hated the thought of not being able to tye when the urge hit me. Oh well, the vise is beat up, but it works perfectly now.

Cheers,

Graham

Graham,

I had the same problem with my Dyna-King Supreme a few years ago.

It just shows that the dyna king can take a beating. I wouldn't trade mine (I have three of them) for the world!

Take Care,