Fly Tying
RJD31

What brand of thread do you use?

I mostly use UTC or uni,for saltwater or other big stuff I like invisible thread from the craft shop because it pretty cheap and nice big spools.

Ashley

Danville

Danville is twisted nylon, whic can be untiwsted for streamer heads, small flies,etc. But can come untwisted and mess up tiny flies.

Uni, I believe, is heatset polyester, and so does not untwist, even if you try. The two strands are bound together. This enables smaller tighter thread, but cannot get flat.

So pick the thread design you need, then the vendor.

Also Rumpf seems to be Danville relabeled, liekwise with old Orvis thread. I haven't got any of the newer. (could be the same or different)

Uni thread 6/0 and 8/0 for all my trout flies. Still have some old monocord from Universal Vise (company is now out of business) that I use for anything larger than a size 10.

I like the UTC 70 denier for small flies. I've been using some Uni thread lately and I'm really liking it. I've tried Danville and liked it, but I don't use it regularly.

Mike

well, a danville flymaster 6/0 is 70 denier, the standard for most other companies 8/0. its really confusing, but I prefer flat threads, like UTC, and danville. Also, if you unwind a length of UNI, lay it on a table, and hold on end and press your thumbnail along its length you can flatten it quite a bit. hmmm, I hope that made sense.......... :dunno:

For Spiders I use Pearsalls Gossamer, for muddlers and spun hair I use Gordon Griffiths cobweb and for virtually everything else I use Roman Moser Powersilk in 3/0, 6/0 and 8/0 as it's incredibly tough.