Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

world record salmon PIC

I was just surfin around some salmon records and other related stuff and came across a picture of the world record salmon and had to share this with you guys.

All i can say is WOW

user posted image

During a Kenai trip in 2000 there was a story floating around of a guy fighting one bigger than that one. He fought it overnight and finally trapped it between shore and the boat. Then the hook pulled. bugeyes.gif They estimated the weight around 105-110.

The record fish in displayed in a 360 degree mount at the Visitor's Bureau in Soldatna. It's mamoth.

I hear the fish in the pic above was caught on a 3 weight. It took a size 26 midge tied to a 10X tippet in a quiet eddy.... rolleyes.gif

"We're gonna need a bigger boat!"

For some reason the river looks small to be the Kenai, unless it near the mouth of the Russian or above Skilak Lake

Got to get back there, maybe next year.

thought that was a flathead when I first saw it!!! Monster!!! Are you serious about the 3 wt? Tell me you're not!!! (cue Jaws theme here!) biggrin.gif

Dble Haul, you got it wrong. He just bought is Center Axis 0 wt Sage. Was using a bit of spider's web (the real stuff) for tippet. Took him 10 minutes to land. biggrin.gif

Actually, should say a word of mourning. The angler in the picture who caught that fish just recently passed away. He is the older gentleman on the far left. Was just an average everyday joe who loved to fish (he lived in Alaska).

passed on? sorry to hear that....at least he lives here on the site forever....showing off his catch!! Kudos to him! cheers.gif

Yes, think he passed away last month. Fish was caught several years ago. Can't remember the year.

Actually, here's a bit of info for all of you. They say his fish, through standard calculations, would've been well over 100#'s if he would've weighed it right away. Between blood loss and water loss from sitting would've easily been triple digits. Guess he had it sitting in the bed of his pickup for several hours before having it weighed.

Thanks for adding the info on the gent that caught the fish jerry it didnt say anything about his passing in the atricle...thats to bad,but i'm sure that fish is somthing he was proud of the rest of his days.

Yeah it did come outa the Kenai river

Kinda makes ya wonder just how big the BIGGEST salmon alive is right now dont it? thats the rod&reel record right now but in one of Jim Tennys book he talks of commercial fisherman having 120+ pound salmon cuaght in there nets.

Yeah it was a 3 wt...but he had 6 rods duct taped together so technicly it was a 18wt blink.gif wink.gif

SD

SD, not sure if it's the salmon in question. But I've seen a 120# king salmon that came out of a commercials net years ago. It was mounted and hanging in a custom smoke house in Westport, Washington. The thing was HUGE!!!!! Think the official weight on it was 123#.

I have a dentist who's on my delivery route that is a big time fisherman. Walk into his office and first thing you see is a skin mount of a 26# steelhead off the Hoh River. Then, walk back into his private office and there is an 89# king off the Kenai on his wall. Makes you sick.

The real story behind that monster king is different than has been told. It was caught on a baitcasting or spinning rod using 25lb test. He was using a very popular lure called spin and glo. It is true that people figure the fish would have went into triple digits, but he didnt have it in the bed of his truck, the fish was left in the bottom of the boat as the man and his buddy that was with him continued to fish because they didnt believe it was a record fish.