Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

world record salmon PIC

[user posted image

Wow, 100# salmon, my 60 pounder sounds kinda puny in comparison. Here is a pic of a late fall run King from the Feather River in No. Calif. Taken on light baitcasting tackle with 12# test from the bank. Using no. 2 red gamajatsu egg hooks and plastic egg clusters, swing drifted through a slot in the river. After almost spooling me three times and about 30 mins later I was able to land him.

I have hooked many of these brutes on my 8 weight fly gear and have managed to get a couple of the smaller ones landed, but the gear is overmatched and I just can't pull them back up after a downstream run. Most of my fishing these days is with the long rod, but i will need a 10 weight outfit and maybe a spey rod to handle the King salmon in the area I fish, until then I still enjoy fighting these guys with the terminal outfit. I have hooked many that straighten the hook and pull off, and while I dont believe there is a 100 pounder in my future I am sure I have lost some bigger than the one pictured. My son and I have caught and released as many as 90 to 100 of these kings in a season if water conditions are just right. Average weight in a good year can be upwards of 25 pounds. We got some big uns in Calif. too!

Take Care

Steelie if our great lakes kings were that big i would have to quit my job just to fish for them every poss minute huh.gif wink.gif

Biggest i've seen here in michigan so far was one on the PM that probaly went close to the high 30's or right about 40 pounds.

SD

WOW..... Thats a huge fish! I will catch the next record, you watch. The kenai is only about 2 hours form my house so I will try and get out there. Thats to bad about the man passing on... Shoe, maybe we can meet up when you decide to come back up?