Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bounty hunter

Midge patterns....

I havent really been into midge patterns in the past. I think I may be short changeing myself by not tying/fishing any midge patterns. My question is this; What are some of your favorite midge patterns and why. Please feel free to post some pics. I would love to see them. Thanks in advance.

okie doke. for bluegill.....heres my waxworm. its tied on a 14 scud hook. dont kno if its rally a midge, but thats what i named it in the fly database. CLOSELY resembles a waxworm...a favorite of bluegills. you can even be like a bait fisherman ( :bait ) and put it a foot or two under a bobber on light spinning tackle.

IPB Image

Here's my favorite midge pattern. I found that what was originally tied by me as a local pattern has worked well through out the Northeast and southern Ontario. Though originally tied as dry fly, it works fished subsurface as an emerger.

http://mjorg.bol.ucla.edu/midge/caruso.htm

CDC is an acronym for Cul-De-Cunard feathers. These are the soft, fluffy feathers that are right near the duck/goose's preen gland. By their own structure they are quite bouyant and need no floatant.