Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Eric

Hello!

Hello everyone!

I just found your forum today while searching the web, and I have to say it is quite the resource! I have spent a few hours looking through the posts and this looks like a great place.

Anyway, my name is Eric and I am 19-year-old student in the Midwest. I began fly tying before fly fishing believe it or not. I tied my first fly at the age of 12, using a book from the library as reference. My grandfather tied flies so my aunt was happy to provide me with tools and materials that were down in her basement. I am pretty much self-taught: I spent a year or so after I first started tying practicing techniques on and refining my own. After that (ages 13-15) I enrolled in several classes at the local fly shop to correct some mistakes I had been doing while tying.

I truly consider fly tying to be an art, and I love tying the flies more than fishing them. I haven't tied a fly or been fishing in three years, but lately (maybe the spring air coming through?) I've had a craving to start again. I have drawers full of materials waiting to be tied. I figured this would be the perfect place to rekindle the spark.

Anyone else from the Midwest, specifically the Milwaukee area?

Welcome to the site Eric!

I would say 75% of the members are from the Midwest area and we have more Micigan members than I can count, so your in good company. Feel free to jump in any time, we are very relaxed around here so make yourself comfortable cool.gif

Welcome home crazy E. I have a friend named Eric and we call him crazy E. This is a site you will have fun with. One nice thing about fly fishing and tying, it is never to late to restart.

Enjoy and welcome rockon.gif

QUOTE (Bryanfly15 @ Feb 26 2004, 09:09 PM)
Welcome home crazy E. I have a friend named Eric and we call him crazy E. This is a site you will have fun with. One nice thing about fly fishing and tying, it is never to late to restart.

Enjoy and welcome rockon.gif

Feel free to call me crazy E, I like that! I'm going home this weekend (I live at the dorms in my college) and I think I'll pick up the ol' tools again and see if I still have the tying talent. It was so much fun back when I used to do it, literally my life revolved around tying/fishing.