Fly Tying

More EP's

It all started when I ran across a realistic Menhaden in one of the fly catalogs.

IPB Image

Then Flytyer magazine had an article on the contruction of this "over-sized" offering (They're tied on a 6/0 and 8/0 hook). It seemed simple enough, but finding a way to downsize it created all kinds of issues. The original tyer used a 2mm foam for the head and ironed it to thin it out somewhat. It still wasn't thin enough for my application. Sometimes good things come in large packages. While unwrapping the glass tops to my other tying bench I noticed the panels were seperated by a thin very foam. (probably less than 1mm). I started playing around trying to color it with markers and they blended quite well. It still lacked a certain depth and the author suggested using a pearl nail polish for the gill plate. Risking my masculinity I scoured the cosmetic isle at our local Drug Store and found some pearl and a gold/pearl. I was on my way...

Here's the first attempt at a few of these

The Perch

IPB Image

Firetiger

IPB Image

Clown

IPB Image

Nice job Shoe! Great execution and colors! I love these patterns and have been fishing several versions of them for a while now in bigger saltwater sizes. I don't know about the origin of the flies since I had seen Tim Woland's versions long before the Fly Tyer article came out.

If you're interested here is a link to Tim Woland's construction techniques:

Tim Woland Baitfish

Here are two versions I've been playing with; one using hackles (a fusion of old & new).

IPB Image

IPB Image I was going to enter this in the saltwater category but did a poor job on the head epoxy leading to some clouding of the eyes and I didn't have time to correct.

Best wishes,

John

Great flies guys :headbang: :headbang: I've been planning to tie some of these for pike this year, they're so sweet looking. I'm guessing it would be pretty easy to slip a rattle in the head on one of those? :dunno:

How do they cast?

Do these sink very quickly or even at all with that foam head? Love the looks but I wonder if they get down to where I would need them to be without adding a lot of lead wire wraps.

Do these sink very quickly or even at all with that foam head? Love the looks but I wonder if they get down to where I would need them to be without adding a lot of lead wire wraps.

I've tried 2 different methods. One utilizes a contact cement for the attachment of the head, the other was adhered with a quick drying epoxy. The epoxy one had a faster sink-rate. I believe the contact cement is somewhat lighter and ends up trapping air within the head, but it does sink. I'm thinking about 3-4"/sec on a dead fall. One could add an additional coat or 2 of epoxy on the outside of the head and really give it some weight.

Wicked flies Ralf, I love em!!!

I have been working on getting a fuller body with my baitfish patterns and I have been using EZ-Body to make a cone near the head. I tie in the material in front of that and the EZ-Body causes the material to flare out slightly.

I am certainly gonna give the foam heads a try, it would be nice to make a cutter somehow to make the heads a little quicker.

I'd like to see yours, Will

As far as cutting the heads, I made a template out of a firm plasic and run a blade around it. It's pretty quick