Fly Tying
ol_grayfeather

my fisrt 'Simple Shad'

Well... heres the first fly I have tied without having someone, in person, show me first. I watched an internet video about tying this fly and gave it a shot. I tied it on a bass fishing worm hook I had laying around.

Go ahead and pick it apart... thats how I'll learn.

Dan

post-9070-1170731533_thumb.jpg

Looks quite good! Technically I believe that the grey wool and herl topping should extend the length of the ly, and I would have chosen a larger mallard feather for the cheek, but as tied should fish just fine.

Looks quite good! Technically I believe that the grey wool and herl topping should extend the length of the ly, and I would have chosen a larger mallard feather for the cheek, but as tied should fish just fine.

Ditto. I'd extend the grey wool and peacock herl (I actually use peacock Krystal Flash like Dave Whitlock uses, but I might try the herl out sometime) to the end of the fly to better immitate a Shad.

Nice tie though! I've had the idea of using offset-shank worm hooks too. I might give that another go. My hang-up is that there aren't any silver worm hooks. I tend to like the nickel-silver hooks. I'm not sure how much the fish'll care, but that may be something for me to experiment with this spring.

I like it .

i'd tie in a few strands of peacock and have them extend to the tail . perhaps biger cheaks to go back to the hook bend or extend the white hair and make it a bit fuller . to cove more of the hook bend

you could also add some crystal flash .