Fly Tying
bigduhon

Elk Hair Caddis Problem...

I don't have a picture of this problem right now, but will try to post one later. Let's see if I can explain it...

I get the fly all done and it looks good. I whip finish it, put on some head cement, and it still looks good. However, after a short time, the top elk hairs begin to stand up vertically. In other words, they do not point backwards towards the barb, but rather almost straight up.

I've tried tying back over the hairs to no avail. I've also experimented with tying in the elk hair with both the butts and the tips facing back...same problem regardless.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

"I whip finish it, put on some head cement"

I believe there is the problem, if you tie the elk hair on with a hair lock technique you will not need the head cement, I feel if you tie the fly without cement you have a fly that will last just as long.

bigduhon,

When you whip finish, do you do it in front of the hair butts or on top, right where you tied them in? I agree with troutfishonly, especially if you add the cement to the area where you tied the hair on. It will cause them to flair a bit. If you feel like you have to put on cement, whip finish under the hair butts, turn the fly over, and cement the bottom of the fly right by the eye where the whip finish is. It keeps the cement from getting on the hair. Of course, if you do this already....... :dunno:

Joe

EHC is my top fish producer... I agree with everyone... less elk hair, no need for head cement if you're whip finishing.

I just started doing these not too long ago

and I agree with everyone. Probably too much hair.

Thanks to everyone for the help! I still haven't gotten around to taking some pictures (work is nuts), but I can say with certainty that those who replied with "use less elk hair" know what they are talking about. They are starting to look good...

One additional question...

Typically, I both whip finish and cement...when is one or the other or both sufficient? Is there a rule of thumb on this?

Thanks again.

I don't think there is a rule of thumb. Some people swear by cement and not only use it on the whip finish but also use it at various stages of the fly to make it more durable, in their opinion. Others hate cement and would not ever use it. They believe a well tied whip finish will hold up just as well by itself. Many will finish a fly with two whip finishes, one on top of the other, for durability. There are good points for both arguments so experiment and see what works best for you.

Joe

Typically, I both whip finish and cement...when is one or the other or both sufficient? Is there a rule of thumb on this?

There is no rule to this just matter of preference of the tyer.

Typically if you whip finish there is no need to use head cement.

If you finish off any of your flies with a half - hitch, IMHO! I suggest using head cement.